Do you remember smoking lounges in High School?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I dropped out in 1971 to join the Navy....in an effort to avoid the Army.
Although the teachers had a really nice smoking lounge, they banished us hoods out to a dirt patch in the grass just outside the cafeteria doors.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
I graduated in '93. The last year for student smoking areas in the high schools in our area. The teachers could smoke in the teachers lounge, and if you were in good with the teachers they would let a select few of us smoke in there too. Kind of nice when the weather was cold or rainy.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I was one of the "hoods" Johnny mentioned. We had to sneak into a bathroom to grab a quick puff or two.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Heck, I remember going to the Doctor's office and the secretary and the Doctor would both be smoking. The doctor would just put down his cig and then do what he had to do. Then you go to the grocery store and the produce guy would be chain smoking. Then you went to the cashier/check out and the clerk would be standing there smoking. This, of course was the mid 70's when times were far different and better in a lot of ways.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
It seems to be that the kids who smoked were a more relaxed then the overacheivers on there ADHD meds. Smarter too....As far as health teh authrities were more concerned that our High School was built on a Love Canal type toxic waiste dump and there was methane leaking in the basement

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i remember when you could smoke in hospitals, even when you were in there bed.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
They always put you in a semi-private room with another smoker.
It wasn't so long ago that as soon as your plane leveled out...the captain would turn off the NO SMOKING light and fifty nervous passengers would immediately light up!

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
I graduated in 97 and they put up bars at the entrance of our high school bathrooms. They looked like prison bars. They did this to keep the kids from smoking during class. In between classes a teacher would open the gate and let go in, but stood outside the doors to make sure no one smoked.

rupert

Lurker
Jan 30, 2011
I moved from Washington State to Minnesota in '90. My old high school in WA had a smoking section, but when caught walking through my new school's parking lot smoking a cigarette I got a 3 day suspension. Great way to start off at a new school! After that I took my smokes at "The Log" which was just off school property.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
I remember. They served morning coffee in the lounge too. It was run by the student government association...but you could smoke in ALL the halls! Really cool school.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
When I started secondary we had a smoking room for the seniors, by the time I was a senior it was a multi faith quiet space. By the time I was in university even the smoking club was considered un Pc and then the smoking ban came! Still had a smoking club though :) tempted to start one in the university I am at now

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
In my Jr. Highschool (93 - 96), we had an outdoor smoking area on the school grounds, which was affectionately refered to as "The Pit". Everyone, teachers, students, and random faculty had to limit themselves to this dark little 30' square pad of concrete, with a bucket full of nasty water and butts in the middle.

Sadly, in the summer between Jr. and Sr. highschool, smoking was banned on all school properties in my district, so we would crowd the sidewalk across the street from the school; once again, students and faculty joined in the segregation.

Interestingly enough, however, my senior highschool did still have built in ashtrays in the cafeteria and theater...one evening, after rugby practice, I recall heading down to the caf to grab a pop from the vending machines, and low and behold, the janitors were sitting around a table, playing cards and smoking away, as he figured it was still acceptable (as it had been in his day).

Status
Not open for further replies.