PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have two pipes that deliver 15-20 minutes of smoke fully loaded.
I'm happy to have them when the situation dictates a short session.
jay-roger.jpg

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
My normal smokes are between 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the blend and which pipe I am using. Never had a smoke in under 30 minutes before.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't like short smokes, but I'll smoke any chance I get. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes an hour. Also depends on what pipe I feel like smoking. Sometimes I'll smoke a small bowl 4 or 5 times in a row. Sometimes I'll smoke 1/4 of a large bowl at a time. I don't care, as long as I'm smoking.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I'd never recommend it, although I completely understand it. I never sit down with a bowl without every intention to smoke the whole thing. However, I'm a father of a two year old with a very hectic job and sometimes an expected 90 min smoke turns into a whole lot less. I've hardly charred a pipe and had to set it down to revisit the next day on more than one occasion. If you know you're taking a 15 min smoke, my advice would be don't buy into the small "quick smoke" pipes. Personally I'd much rather load a full, half, or even 1/4 bowl in a full size pipe. Smoke what I can and save the rest for later. There's no reason you can't load a full bowl and smoke half now, half tomorrow. Or even load a half bowl and smoke 1/4 now and 1/4 later. The small bowl pipes always tend to burn too fast and hot for me, plus my mind tells me "I need to finish the whole thing right now". If I load a standard size bowl fully expecting not to smoke the whole thing in one sitting, I find that I can smoke slower and enjoy a lot better than a "one hit" pipe.
Just my opinion of course.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The eternal bowl. (Or bowel if you're Jay)
If you smoke half of the bowl now, then half of that later, and on a third relight, half of that again, and then....you get the picture. You'll never finish the smoke!

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
When i smoke my pipe Its usualy for around 1-2 hours sometimes more. Its a relaxing thing for me so 15 min is far to short.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I recommend fifteen minute sessions. And thirty minutes. 45 is good, too, as is 42. An hour is fine, but beyond that one is dealing with various laws physics.
Jrenko- Just how do you smoke a pipe for two hours, much less more than that??

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Deniz,How about some kautabak-Chew, But definitely if it be a pipe your best bet is to carry a smallish chambered pipe and some fine cut strong tobacco,,how about to rub some HH bold Kentucky into a thin ribbon? that'll be good first aid in theselike situations

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Deniz:As for room notes of various tobacco,I must confess that I'm pretty immune,can not detect much,perhaps only what I do notice in room note is if cuban cigars were smoked.Nontheless based on my experience I'd guess Dark Fired Kentuckies and Type of Tabacs Semois have the most distinctive room note(I recall those days when I was visiting France and having my coffee at Cafe-Tabac brasserie,sure enough there were very a distictive punchy smell of dark french tobacco all over the place.Moreover a Russian home-grown (TabacRusticum)possedes a very strong odeur'similarly as does some Oriental types of tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fifteen minutes is just fine. Agree it's to be savored if possible, but smoking while doing something else is good, too.
When i smoke my pipe Its usualy (sic) for around 1-2 hours sometimes more. Its a relaxing thing for me so 15 min is far to (sic) short.
How do you get two hours out of a bowl? It defies physics.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I think we'd all prefer a longer smoke, but if 15 minutes is all you get, then I'll take it. That 15 minutes of happiness can turn your day around.

Status
Not open for further replies.