Do You Pack To The Brim, Below, Or A Little Above?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When packing, how do you top off the bowl? Do you pack a little below the brim to give the tobacco room to rise when you do the first light? Or do you pack above the rim to allow the tobacco room to settle with the first light? Or do you pack even with the brim to anticipate both tendencies? Frankly I think I do all three on occasion depending on the cut, the moisture, my appetite for a smoke, and my mood. I think I tend to pack pretty loosely a little below the brim.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
3940ue.jpg

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, I have always tended to fill SLIGHTLY below low the rim.... probably in the neighborhood is 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch. My reasons are that fairly often even with the medium-to-medium dense packing that seems right to me.... there is some expansion that occurs on first light.

For me, first light is the period where I have the greatest risk of a small ember burst from the bowl and fall onto my shirt or pants. The below the rim style I uses tends to make the risk of creating a hole in my clothes lower.... and then tamping the top a bit (typically with my finger or thumb.... I rarely have a tamper with me other than my digits) sets me ready for a more stable relight with no errant embers popping out...... then all is good to go! ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh no! I posted an extraordinarily similar original post last December. The old boy is, ahem, repeating himself. Oh well, it seems to have interested a lot of people along the way, both times. I'll make a mental note not to do post number three. And thanks for your responses ... and thanks for your response. Ha.