Do You Have any Special / Unique Christmas Traditions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Over the weekend, my wife and I cut a Christmas tree and put it up in our living room. I am now officially in the Christmas spirit!

I really like the traditions that surround the holidays, such as turkey at Thanksgiving and pine trees in our houses at Christmas, which are society-wide traditions that we can all share. I also enjoy having smaller personal or family traditions. One of our traditions in my family is a Christmas morning breakfast of coffee cake topped with cinnamon, sugar, and crushed nuts. My mom made it every year when I was young, and when I told my wife about the coffee cake back when we were dating, she really liked the idea and now she bakes a coffee cake each year using my mom's recipe. I've only ever had this coffee cake on Christmas (and maybe a couple days after when there is some left over) so to me, this coffee cake tastes like Christmas. Of course I really enjoy continuing the tradition and am thankful that my wife likes the idea too and that she's a great baker.

Nah, we do things different every year. Sometimes we have a tree, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we eat here, sometimes we eat at a Chinese place, or maybe we just don't eat. This year my wife and I will be headed to the beach for a few days.
Six kids between us, and family scattered all over... we are lucky if we even see everyone over the holidays.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Growing up Christmas tradition was always spending the day with family and standard turkey, ham, and side dishes for food.

Now the little family I have left lives far away so nothing consistent yet to be a tradition. The same can be said for my wife.

We do celebrate twice though so that's sort of a tradition. In Mexico, where my wife is from, they traditionally celebrate on Christmas Eve so we do that and the celebrate again the next day. In a few more years once my daughter has grown a little we plan on going to Mexico to celebrate with my wife's family so we'll hopefully establish some more traditions then.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Italian's have a tradition of food! Surprised? The 24th is known as the 7 fishes and dinner comprises of, well seafood. Octopus, shrimp, squid, linguini in clam sauce, mussels in a garlic red sauce, whole baked or fried fish, crab legs, and lobster. Then if your colesterolo isn't skyhigh along with your blood pressure the 25th is all meat. Antipasti, brasciole, ragu with ravioli, lamb chops, rib roast, rabbit agro-dolce...and wine!

Needless to say it's a looking day at the table!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
We have an ‘orphans’ Christmas on Christmas Day every year where we invite friends over that have no family to celebrate with.

We head to the beach in the morning with croissants, salmon, blue cheese and ciders, and do Christmas dinner, drinks and gifts with our ‘adopted’ family in the evening.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
My wife and I make each other an ornament and exchange them each year. Usually, they are related to inside jokes or some event that happened that year.

We also spend the weekend before Christmas at Disney. Her parents are all employees at WDW and we live about 2 hours away from the park. We get tickets for free and pay for a hotel there. We collect Disney pins, and get one from the hotel we stayed in and one from the park we go to along with an ornament for the season. This year we are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort and doing Animal Kingdom.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Italian's have a tradition of food! Surprised? The 24th is known as the 7 fishes and dinner comprises of, well seafood. Octopus, shrimp, squid, linguini in clam sauce, mussels in a garlic red sauce, whole baked or fried fish, crab legs, and lobster. Then if your colesterolo isn't skyhigh along with your blood pressure the 25th is all meat. Antipasti, brasciole, ragu with ravioli, lamb chops, rib roast, rabbit agro-dolce...and wine!

Needless to say it's a looking day at the table!
Damn!! I'm gonna be Italian this Christmas. Growing up, we always had a goose for the main dish. Thank you, Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.