PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I use a rollup made by Tim of Northwest Gentlemen:

I really like the variety of sizes and leathers he offers. I’ve used ceramic and other relatively hard items as a tobacco tray but find I'm less nervous about accidentally dinging my pipe if I set it on a leather surface.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I
View attachment 285440

I picked up this one recently from Levoy Leatherworks. Tyler was at the LVIPS back in October and I got to meet him, really good guy. My show budget ran out when I made it to his table, so I recently ordered this off his website ( www.levoysleathers.com ) .

I also have him working on a custom order of holders for some 8deco tampers I have. Excited to see those once they’re finished!
I don't have one but have been thinking about asking one out of leather. I usually use a paper towel.

Reactions: lordofthepiperings

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I use a paper plate as a staging area before filling. Let tobacco dry out a bit. Also, examine tobacco under good light for stems to be removed, clumps to rub out, also foreign objects -- I have found tobacco bugs and ribbon-cut cellophane 😳
The plate is easily bent to neatly pour extra tobacco back into container.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I remember an older fellow pipe smoker had one tobacco. That was it. Loaded from a huge wide jar you get your hand in. That's how I learned to load one finger style I'll call it. Works with pouch tobacco too. Issue for me when it comes to the myriad varieties I have jarred I can't get my finger in the jar to load how I like. So the leather tray as OP has is indispensable for me. Mine is about 7x7 unsnapped and about 6x6 snapped. It can break down easy and travels well rolled up.