PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
I'm still new to the pipe game and my measly collection only consists of a couple of cobs and a couple of briars which are both apple shapes. I have a straight Savinelli 207 apple and a bent Savinelli 626 apple. whenever I'm wasting time on pipe websites I'm always drawn to the apple shape. Something about that round plump bowl that i dig. Sometimes I'll see a series that doesn't have an apple variant and wonder what it would look like.

Any of you guys have collections that are built around a favorite shape?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
For the most part, the brandy/rhodesian shape with longer stems and accepting of 6mm filters. These are my most smoked pipes, with the top 2 probably consisting of 80% or more of my smoking.

I’m a big fan of the look of tapers on bowls as well as a fan of lovats so I put the two features together with 6mm drilling and it’s everything I wanted it to be.

I wouldn’t call it a collection I guess, but I only own a handful of pipes in general and these are my 3 I keep out.

IMG_3155.jpeg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
My two best smokers, probably because of the cylindrical bowl, are cherrywood pokers. Although I've never loved the shape of pokers, they've grown on me. Most of my pipes are large dublins with a plateau rim.

Reactions: redleaderdave

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Peterson 68, bent chubby apple, bent chubby author, 4AB, Peterson Sherlock Professor, Peterson Sherlock Rathbone are examples, the 4AB and Rathbone being the similar/slimmer exceptions of my preferences. I generally like a little heft to the bowl and something hanging gently. I have some straight pipes that are great but just don't reach for them as often.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What I find interesting is that there are certain shapes I love, but dislike or I'm indifferent to somewhat similar shapes.

eg I love Bulldogs and have over 40 of them. But only 3 Rhodesians.

I have a few Lovats (Iove the shorter ones and dislike long shanked ones). But no Canadians, Liverpools or Lumbermen

I love apples. And tomatoes and princes (which, to my mind, are related shapes). But actively dislike authors and hawkbills
cray

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
Yes, quite a number of them. But a few I’ve thought so much of I’ve had custom pipes commissioned.

Topmost in the photo is a Hungarian shape (also called an Oom Paul) with a bloodwood band by Bill Boyle. The black finished Canadian with a Prince-shaped bowl is also a Bill Boyle. Its “shape mate” in a natural “Ruvido” finish is by Paul Bonaquisti (Paul later returned the earlier “c” to his surname, so it’s now Bonacquisti). And the bent acorn — my favorite travel pipe, once upon a time — is by Mark Tinsky (he also gave me a tapered stem, with logo, for it).

BB1E548E-C30D-45C3-AA75-DEDF36F41D4C.JPG

Always happy to brag on my “briar children.”

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I strongly prefer a 1/8th to 1/4 bend max. I have a reasonably eclectic collection but my shape preferences tend towards Bulldog, Rhodesian, Hawkbill and Billiard. Those probably make up 75% of my collection.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have many different shapes in my collection, but my favorite is also the apple. I like my Savinelli 626 but wish the shank and bit were just a little slimmer. I think the old 4 Dot Sasieni "Appleby" is just about perfect.