PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
hobie, the way the warden does it the person she is haggeling with feels blessed taking less money. shit, when i took her with me to get a new helmet not only did they knock off $100, but they gave us a coupon for 10% off opn our next purchase...

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I don't think there's anything wrong with haggling.
I am a craftsman myself and I don't mind my customers (or potential customers) trying to save money, even if it's on my items, especially in these times. The thing is, as a craftsman, if I'm selling to a first time buyer of my items, I have to appreciate the fact that they don't know me, or my work, and therefore, in their minds, they're taking a chance on my items, as quality work (especially to the untrained eye) doesn't always show itself right away. That only comes with time and use.
And because I feel confident in the work and the quality of my items, I'm often willing to sell to a new customer for a lower price than I'm asking, because I know (or, at least, I hope) they'll come back and possibly refer to me to others. So, whatever I "lose" in my asking price, I often gain in repeat and new business. Most importantly, you build good relationships that way (business and personal).
So, I'm in the corner of "it doesn't hurt to ask." If a person is not willing to haggle, there are plenty of other people who will.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
I am a craftsman myself and I don't mind my customers (or potential customers) trying to save money, even if it's on my items, especially in these times. The thing is, as a craftsman, if I'm selling to a first time buyer of my items, I have to appreciate the fact that they don't know me, or my work, and therefore, in their minds, they're taking a chance on my items, as quality work (especially to the untrained eye) doesn't always show itself right away. That only comes with time and use.
And because I feel confident in the work and the quality of my items, I'm often willing to sell to a new customer for a lower price than I'm asking, because I know (or, at least, I hope) they'll come back and possibly refer to me to others. So, whatever I "lose" in my asking price, I often gain in repeat and new business. Most importantly, you build good relationships that way (business and personal).
Well put up a thread showing us your work, pleeeeeeeeeeease :)
Having just found a pipe I couldn't live without, no way was I going to haggle with the craftsman. In fact I'm paying MORE than he asked for because, to me, it was worth it - a gesture of appreciation to him, baked beans for me - 'tis the greatest compliment I can pay him :)

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I agree with smokindawg, I go by a sale by sale basis. If it's already a good deal why ruffle feathers, but if the item is more than I think it's worth I'll haggle. No harm if he doesn't have space to haggle as I wouldn't have paid what he wanted in the first place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's only one pipe carver I deal with face-to-face. Others are retailed through someone else.

I feel like I am voting to keep this pipe carver in business, to keep him hauling his inventory to

shows. It's worth the bucks I could save bartering to keep him coming around. I don't think he's

living high on the proceeds. Probably others save a few bucks. But I've been been buying his

pipes for 11 years. Besides, for handmades, his prices are really generous.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This is an old thread, but an interesting question. I probably wouldn't haggle over a pipe at a carver's table. Any other seller, I don't see any issue with haggling.
Now, you might not piss off the carver or insult him (then again, you might), but what's really the point other than trying to save a few bucks?
It really wouldn't bother me if others decided to haggle with a pipe maker, but I probably wouldn't do it myself.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I prefer to do business with people who set fair prices and don't haggle, if I don't have the money for something, I'll say so and see if they'll cut me a deal. If a price is set way to high, rather than dealing with it, I usually just do not buy it. I dislike haggling to be honest and prefer to jsut compare set prices and price shop.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I sell my woodworking at various shows. I love haggling. I enjoy the back and forth sparing. One of my lines is "They are $10 each. But I am having a special today, two for $30." If someone looks at my work and says, Nice, then there is no sale. If they start talking and negotiating, then I have a chance at a sale. Granted, my sales are only going to buy the next tool I want or tobacco. If this endeavor was putting food on the table, then I would have a different attitude.
Winton

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Speaking as an artisan carver (and I only speak for myself here) I love to haggle. I find it interesting that a lot of pipe collectors at shows aren't interested in haggling. I've had some seem to get put off if I let them know that the price is negotiable. It's almost as if some feel like the price they pay is a reflection of the pipe's worth. Strange really. One thing to consider as a consumer is that a lot of carver's sell their pipes to retailers at 50%. A lot of them do so with pipes that don't sell by the end of the shows. That's one reason why you get good deals in the final hours of the show. If a carver can get more than 50% then it's a win-win. You get a great pipe at a discount and he makes more than he would selling to a retailer. Of course, there are pipes that I make that I feel I can sell at top price. If I think I can move it easily at top price then I won't budge on the price but I won't be offended at any offer no matter how bad it is. Of course, I'm not easily offended anyway. I make pipes for folks to smoke and enjoy. That's the real joy of the art for me. Then again, I don't rely on the income to support my family either.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I love to haggle. I'd haggle over the price of bread at the supermarket if I thought it would work. BUT I only haggle on stuff I know the value of. A carvers pipe? I have a vague idea what goes into making a fine pipe, but I have no real idea how to put a dollar amount on it. So while I may try to get a few bucks knocked off I wouldn't push the issue. If I had the money and liked the pipe, getting a discount however small would just be me being me. Of course I also would pass by a $500 pipe if I only had $300 in my pocket, although I'd probably offer $250 for a $300 pipe. Haggling is a sport and as such deserves good sportsmanship. Now my local B&Ms... I haggle over the price of tobacco (and pipes)I don't think I've paid asking price for anything beyond pipe cleaners. On my current budget $0.50 savings on a ounce of baccy matters.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wayne, thanks for offering that perspective. Putting it like that makes me think I'd be more inclined to haggle, at least at the end of a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.