Do You Dry Your Tobacco Before Smoking? Why or Why Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Interesting to see someone in Greg's position discuss both the 'readiness to smoke' debate we've had on forums for years and the post-tinning aging; it's pretty funny to see how much public opinion on these matters have changed over the last 5-10-15 years.

As for moisture matters, like I said in the other thread bumping around New Posts right now, there's probably a myriad of minute factors that affect this but the one thing that matters most will be your local relative humidity: I would be very surprised if someone in Tampa Florida and someone from Scottsdale Arizona had the same preparation methods.

Wetter is also heavier. Seeing as tobacco is sold by weight, that's gotta be a business consideration too.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Yes. Depending on moisture levels. I like my blends dry but not crispy…happy medium kinda thing. Too much moisture tends to mute flavors for me and make for a more wet and less enjoyable experience. On average, I dry my flakes out about and hour…Ready Rubbed 15-30 minutes. ☕

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This was an excellent and informative article by Greg. I like a lot in it. He provides excellent information of the moisture tranformations that tobacco undergoes through processing. I liked that Greg tackled the debate over whether or not tobacco straight from the tin represents what the blender intended. His answer, as a blender, is yes and no, and he goes into considerations.
And he summarizes the article with a suggestion to smokers that they experiment with their tobaccos to see how they taste with different levels of moisture, which in effect says that you can hold some sway over how a blend balances by how you dry it, something I found to be very true. It's great to see that brought up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forgot to answer the question.... I let every tobacco breathe quite a bit and so most will dry down a little bit, as humidity levels are ca. 55% in my house. Others I will dry down significantly, but not below 60% RH @ 70º.

I don't usually smoke heavily topped blends, but sometimes PG will get in the way. Those are blends that won't get bought again.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
Definitely a great article and well worth the read. Like Greg, I have no hard or fast rule about drying/not drying. I let the tobacco and the pipe do the talking. If I smoke a blend in a particular pipe and I have issues due to moisture then I give some dry time for the next smoke, if not I don't. I also consider the conditions I'm smoking in as well. It's not rocket science, just experience. So like Greg says just play around and enjoy yourself while you're at it!

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I do not believe anything Greg said in that post is any special science ONLY a blender would know. It sounds like the things we all learn over time.
Ive either learned it from seasoned pipers or found out for myself.
I was actually told by Greg a decade ago that most blenders sell their tobacco at the moisture level THEY believe brings out the best flavors. Of course some lesser brands load up on the propylene glycol to preserve moisture and bulk up their product.
Every time someone asks how to rehydrate tobacco, I tell them to try it first. I have found several blends that taste great bone dry. The covering the bowl of dry tobacco while blowing through the pipe, ive been doing that for many years.
I personally do not dry many blends. Ive just found a way to smoke them at their moisture level. I found that out with FVF many years ago. Everyone said to let it sit out to dry. I did that for awhile. Then I tried it right from the tin one time........and I couldn't get it to stay lit. I tried again, and again, and again.....
The reason I kept trying is because the flavors I was getting when it was lit, was fantastic. Eventually I learned how to smoke it and use that knowledge with other moist blends. The flavors can be drastically different at different moisture levels.
In the end, smoke it like YOU like it, but seriously try ALL options. Ive heard too many people say they have always dried their moist tobacco because the internet told them to. Some even leave every single bowl of tobacco out for hours, never trying the blend at the tin moisture. And some even MICROWAVE their tobacco!! All bit guaranteeing the essential oils are destroyed. :)
I haven't read all the posts here. If you are a microwaver........KNOCK IT OFF!! :)

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Good article! As far as my own smoking preparations go, it depends on the blend style. For aromatics I'll smoke them fresh out of the tin/jar with no dry time at all, since in my experience drying the tobacco mutes the flavor intensity of whatever toppings were added.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are pure Virginias, which I find to smoke the coolest and offer the broadest range of flavors when dried to the point of being almost (but not quite) crispy. In the middle are English, dark-fired, and Burley blends; which seem to perform and taste the best for me when dried a little but still slightly springy between the fingers.

In any case I always jar my tobaccos up at whatever moisture level they came out of the tin, just for the sake of preserving the volatiles in the tobacco until I'm ready to smoke it, and just dry a bowl's worth as needed. Weather willing of course, since here in Minnesota it's often so humid during the summers that my options are to either smoke the tobacco at the moisture level it came at or set it on a plate in front of a space heater for 10 or 15 minutes to dry; since I could leave it sitting out all day in the open air and it wouldn't dry a lick.

During the winter though the humidity is so low that's it's the opposite, and even the wettest Gawith blends will fully dry sitting out in the open air for 20 minutes. Just depends on the season!puffy

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
As to the moisture level being "what the blender intended", I'm the one smoking it, not them. If their blend needs to be dried out so that I enjoy it more than if it were straight from the tin, then it needed to be dried out.

The amount of drying, if any, that I apply varies from one blend to another, no hard and fast rule. I determine what works best for me and do that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This troglodyte attitude towards microwaves is a bit amusing from one angle, but there are folks who use it rather than oven drying for hours.

Reports of degradation of the blend are perhaps not total hooey, but exaggerated.

Reactions: JOHN72

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
The only tobaccos that I tend to dry are heavy aromatics and occasionally tightly pressed flakes.
I live in the desert, so it rarely takes more than a half hour at most to get to the desired moisture level.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I prefer tobacco with a touch of moisture, somewhat supple, not too dry, not crisp either. I just dry it on the wooden tray. Right now we have 70% humidity and 27º degrees (158.0%/80.6ºF). 11 a.m. in Spain.

Reactions: kcghost