PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm lazy. I just take the old jar, use a dry paper towel to wipe out the tobacco dust, and put in a blend of the same type. I.E. If it had a vaper, it gets a vaper. If it had an english, it gets an english. I figure if I expected whatever residue in there to go long term with one tobacco on top of it, why wouldn't it go just as long with a different blend on top of it.

If the jar were 20 years old I might just toss it, but jars that have only had a blend in them for a little while, meh, I just pile the new blend on top of the dust after a quick DRY wipe.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
there is a very cheap product called Starsan which is used often in homebrewing of beer. Its a liquid that is diluted and sterilized bottles, brewing carboys, equipment etc. this is what i have used in the past to wash out jars utlized to store anything else.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm lazy. I just take the old jar, use a dry paper towel to wipe out the tobacco dust, and put in a blend of the same type. I.E. If it had a vaper, it gets a vaper. If it had an english, it gets an english. I figure if I expected whatever residue in there to go long term with one tobacco on top of it, why wouldn't it go just as long with a different blend on top of it.

If the jar were 20 years old I might just toss it, but jars that have only had a blend in them for a little while, meh, I just pile the new blend on top of the dust after a quick DRY wipe.
exactamundo.

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
No, but they do smell like farts sometimes when I first open them. I have rinsed them with whiskey before jarring to see if i can create the Frog Morton Cellar effect on some of my English blends, but I won't open those jars for a couple of years and have no idea how it will turn out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No wash new jars. No clean counter top jars for currently in-use tobaccos. Sometimes wash jars for longer term storage, but not always.

Reactions: Bowie

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I wish I felt I didn't need to do so, but I run all jars and lids through the dishwasher, with a heated dry cycle. I feel I'm taking the time to jar (costly) tobacco for long term storage, and the exercise takes an extra 2 hours (in my dishwasher), so it's not a big deal for me. I consulted in medical device manufacturing in a former life, and saw some stuff that was surprising in terms of a lack of proper cleaning and sterilization. I'm not inclined to think the jar companies do better so I choose not to take a chance. Then, I use a vacuum sealer for the lids.

I used to use heat jars to seal the lids like I do for tomato sauce, submerging jars in hot water, but Greg Pease warned me against that... told me that I was stoving the tobacco...or heating it to a point where it changed...I don't remember which. So there it is, for long term storage and aging, now I dishwasher, heat dry, then vac seal my jars.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I don’t wash new jars. When I reuse a jar I simply wipe it out with a Kleenex. Haven’t had any mold issues & my oldest “canned” tobaccos are dated 2006.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
I think it's unusual how much faith we place on what happens inside a dishwasher. It must have been another thread, because I don't see it in this one, but I had posted that basically what happens is that hot water gets sprayed onto the dishes, with a mild detergent, and then sprayed again with water, and maybe heated enough to dry. But, I have left plastic cups that would melt at boiling temperature in the dishwasher for a run through with pots and pans (the cycle that is supposed to sterilize them) but the cups come out just fine.
Cheese, peanut butter, and some dressings seem to resist the powers of the washer, and I have to get onto my kids for trying to run them through a second time, because if they didn't get cleaned the first time, the second time is just silly... wash it with a rag and be done with it.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would bet you're more likely to get mold in the jar by putting it into your dishwasher than by putting tobacco in a brand new jar.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
No!...
OLna6yN.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.