PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Until proven otherwise, I deem the need for cake a pipe myth.

Who has measured the temperature of the burn passing into the walls of a bald chamber compared to one with cake. But if so, how much heat will degrade the walls so as to know what cake, if any, is required? Does cake in fact insulate at all?

As in any number of practices in the pipe world, we believe things without any proof whatsoever because something would seem causally related.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Florida chlorine water will never touch my pipes, the shit is disgusting.

It's not the chlorine that makes it nasty.. it's the poop. Florida's sewage and clean water live amongst each other.. It's what happens when you build cities on top of a swamp.

I can't remember, where in Florida you live.. But I saw a documentary, a few years back, about this problem in the everglades. I've never looked at public water the same again.

I have often wondered if the chemical make up of a persons local water might effect the benefit, of a water flush..

We should get the chairman of the board of water & pipes to chime in.. @jpmcwjr

Reactions: anotherbob and timt

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Everyone needs to read Jesse's first post in this thread and memorize it. He explained it perfectly.

Wayne, the kids are having fun with their new toy. I won't clean a pipe that way but plenty of guys are swearing by it. I am too old to even think of a new way to clean my pipes. My way works, that is all I care a bout. The water boys are just looking for something new to do, I disagree with their way of doing it so I keep my pipes clean and dry.
Yes, no liquids in the bowl except you need to get rid of a crossover taste and smell by the salt/alcohol method and you don't have the opportunity for a ozone treatment.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Until proven otherwise, I deem the need for cake a pipe myth.

Who has measured the temperature of the burn passing into the walls of a bald chamber compared to one with cake. But if so, how much heat will degrade the walls so as to know what cake, if any, is required? Does cake in fact insulate at all?

As in any number of practices in the pipe world, we believe things without any proof whatsoever because something would seem causally related.
Possibly the cake can provide a more even distribution of heat,? not necessarily lowering it. This would be especially helpful on some cheaper pipes that might have "hot spots" but probably less noticable/necessary on a nicer pipe with better briar or a straight grain.

Just a theory

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Here's another beautiful picture!

View attachment 48474

It's how all my pipes are treated.

I was about to chime in about how the way I smoke and clean my pipes might be considered neglectful by some here, but... :ROFLMAO:

Also no cake crew checking in. I don't bother wiping out my bowls after every smoke though. I just wait until I notice a little cake forming, then I "ream" it with a paper towel and a little bit of grain alcohol. That mostly wipes the cake out and leaves just a little layer.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
As I said before, I keep a thin layer (1-2 mm).
I wonder, if there is no need for building cake, why precarbonise pipemakers (e.g. with a mix of activated charcoal and potassium silicate) the tobacco chamber?

Only to hide flaws?

Reactions: edger

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As I said before, I keep a thin layer (1-2 mm).
I wonder, if there is no need for building cake, why precarbonise pipemakers (e.g. with a mix of activated charcoal and potassium silicate) the tobacco chamber?

Only to hide flaws?
Certainly that could be the case at times. But the risk of a burnout is highest on raw briar, so a coating helps some.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
I was about to chime in about how the way I smoke and clean my pipes might be considered neglectful by some here, but... Also no cake crew checking in. I don't bother wiping out my bowls after every smoke though. I just wait until I notice a little cake forming, then I "ream" it with a paper towel and a little bit of grain alcohol. That mostly wipes the cake out and leaves just a little layer.

I could have posted this word for word. Preach the good word, brother.

Reactions: edger and lawdawg

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I’m not trying to hijack this thread but how do you flush a pipe with water? Is there a specific method? I don’t wanna screw anything up.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Nah.....

For me, cake is nothing to get excited about. My favorite smokes have come from brand new, virgin bowls in well made pipes. I haven't had a pipe that smokes hot or badly due to not having enough of a cake. I used to just leave the cake to build up but in recent years I've started wiping out the bowl after a smoke. I think there is so much more than caking of the bowl that gives you a bad or good smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will say this for all the new guys. Cake is extremely important if you want to get the most out of your smoking experience. There is no debate, there are no questions, building a proper cake is one of the most important things you can do to get the best smoke possible.
all the deniers can moan and wail about there being no need for cake, but the professional pipe smokers I know swear by it and these guys who have been smoking 40 plus years are the ones I trust. My interest in a 10 year old newbie smoker has no knowledge I care about.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I will say this for all the new guys. Cake is extremely important if you want to get the most out of your smoking experience. There is no debate, there are no questions, building a proper cake is one of the most important things you can do to get the best smoke possible.
all the deniers can moan and wail about there being no need for cake, but the professional pipe smokers I know swear by it and these guys who have been smoking 40 plus years are the ones I trust. My interest in a 10 year old newbie smoker has no knowledge I care about.

You trust only those that have smoked 40+ years? Trust them about what? Whether you can get a totally enjoyable smoke without a cake? Why not just try it yourself and decide if you personally like cake or not? We all know the "cake rule" that many have but there is no 40 years of "knowledge" involved. You let cake build and see if that smokes better for you than if you don't. It really comes down to personal preference. Just like English vs. Aromatics and bent vs. straight. I thoroughly enjoy smoking without a cake and find no difference from smoking my pipes that have a text book, must-or-else-cake.
I've only smoked for 35+ years and that makes my opinion totally invalid so I'll be back in 5 years to say this again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.