PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Yes. The classic dime thickness. I tried the water flush for "tired" briars but I like some cake. Contains a pleasant buildup of compounded flavor. If I liked lots of different tobaccos I'd probably be more enthusiastic about a "clean" pipe, but I'm down to a couple favorites so I like the flavor compounding.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I already posted here but I'll add something else.

It depends on the size of the pipe. Small pipes get scraped periodally(with a czech tool or knife) to keep the cake to a thin layer. My larger pipes I let it go a bit and when it eats up too much bowl space I'll scrape and sand it down. I don't really like to smoke giant bowls and I also find with a large quantity of tobacco a little extra cake smooths out the smoke.

I also think that a reason many people detest cake is that many people smoke lots of different blends and may want to have a cleaner taste when switching to another blend. That layer of cake adds it's own flavour and can enhance things if the same blend is smoked. Also if you rest your pipes between smokes a long time, maybe a cleaner pipe with less cake might be desired. having it really clean with less cake might give a better smoke next time around. But if you smoke a pipe everyday or two having that extra cake or gunk might not matter as much cause it won't sit there for weeks and get all rank.

Reactions: edger

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Wayne- A lot has been written about this, and there are a number of adherents. An equal number of "Never!" And points in between.

Two points: Rather than sour a pipe, it often sweetens them; and
A 20 second hot water flush introduces far less moisture than 45 minutes of smoking, where the moisture is constant, and at high temperatures.

I've written at length on this—some will say ad nauseam— and it's been successful here for five years.
Please explain this method. Been smoking for 10+ years and this is new. Just run it under hot water? Really? No joke, want advise

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wayne- A lot has been written about this, and there are a number of adherents. An equal number of "Never!" And points in between.

A 20 second hot water flush introduces far less moisture than 45 minutes of smoking, where the moisture is constant, and at high temperatures.

I've written at length on this—some will say ad nauseam— and it's been successful here for five years.
It's truly like magic. I now regularly rinse my pipes with warm water. As soon as it doesn't taste right, into the sink they go. Takes less than 2 minutes total. Next day, bowls are as fresh tasting as they get!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Please explain this method. Been smoking for 10+ years and this is new. Just run it under hot water? Really? No joke, want advise
Yup, short answer, hot water through the bowl, stem attached, until gunk and bits of tobacco stop flowing out the bit. Dry off and let rest overnight.

I get best results with the water running fast. Pop the bowl under the water for 5 seconds, about five to ten times. I've noticed that the quick movements of the water blows out more crap, than just letting it stay rushing through the bowl the entire time.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012

Interesting. I've been off the forums for a good while so this was a new concept for me. I've always been for doing it the way that makes you happy so no criticism from me. I'm just curious.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Yup, short answer, hot water through the bowl, stem attached, until gunk and bits of tobacco stop flowing out the bit. Dry off and let rest overnight. I get best results with the water running fast. Pop the bowl under the water for 5 seconds, about five to ten times. I've noticed that the quick movements of the water blows out more crap, than just letting it stay rushing through the bowl the entire time.

I get a frisson just reading about it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
No.

I'm with the warm water flush, paper towel crowd. I find my pipes smell sweeter by 1000% and I don't dread putting one in my mouth before the tobacco anymore. Prior to that opening my pipe cabinet was a blast in the face with old ash smell, and that's also now gone. So I see it as a win/win and with no noticeable damage to any pipes.

With cobs, I've been wiping with a damp towel, to avoid over watering the cob...not sure if I need to, but it seems to answer.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
Generally speaking “No”. Probably 15 years ago I was more a believer and followed the honey method of initial smokes and break-in. But now I do the rub out with paper towel or pipe cleaner method and not was worried about cake buildup. I’ve also transitioned to smoke majority cobs, so no cake focus at all there. LOL

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Everyone needs to read Jesse's first post in this thread and memorize it. He explained it perfectly.

Wayne, the kids are having fun with their new toy. I won't clean a pipe that way but plenty of guys are swearing by it. I am too old to even think of a new way to clean my pipes. My way works, that is all I care a bout. The water boys are just looking for something new to do, I disagree with their way of doing it so I keep my pipes clean and dry.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Everyone needs to read Jesse's first post in this thread and memorize it. He explained it perfectly.

Wayne, the kids are having fun with their new toy. I won't clean a pipe that way but plenty of guys are swearing by it. I am too old to even think of a new way to clean my pipes. My way works, that is all I care a bout. The water boys are just looking for something new to do, I disagree with their way of doing it so I keep my pipes clean and dry.
I'm with you, Harris. Except I'm not big on cleaning my pipes. The dirtier the better as far as I'm concerned. The drier you smoke them, the less you have to clean them! On the rare occasion I get a little hasty with my cadence and I get a gurgle, I'll flick it out and I might (might) run a pipe cleaner through it before putting it away. Heck, I haven't cleaned a pipe with alcohol in over a year because I haven't had to. That's just the way I like it. I totally get and respect those who like to clean their pipes but it's not for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wayne, I clean my pipes to within an inch of their lives after just one bowl. I rarely have to use Everclear and do a deep cleaning any more. I think the water boys are just bored and need a new hobby. If it makes them happy then who am I to get in the way of their fun.

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish
Status
Not open for further replies.