PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The pipes and tobaccos were one of Duhill's businesses. They were always a purveyor of luxury goods. In the early '90's, when I used to visit the Dunhill Store in Beverly Hills with my late father-in-law, the place was primarily a clothing store with jewelry and other high end consumables and a tiny showcase for pipes in the corner.
BTW, the people selling those pipes didn't think much of them and were quite candid about it.
Married into money? Good job!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
O tempora, o mores!

I’m sure if you and your father-in-law could have been transported back to the Dunhill shop on 5th Avenue in the 1920s both the quality of the merchandise and the quality of the help would have been very different.
Jon,
The man loved his Dunhills. He owned close to a thousand of them, including several prototypes that Dunhill's librarian was begging to get back. In addition to the pipes, he had display cases with Dunhill lighters, Dunhill jewelry, leather goods, etc, etc. Hies bedroom/study was a Dunhill museum. He thought they were "pretty good, but not great" smokers. They just liked them.
He definitely influenced me to getting back into pipe smoking.
The walk-in huidor filled with Cuban cigars was much more fun.

Reactions: jguss