PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
At first I enjoyed the bits, but man, those things will get nasty so fast that I couldn’t even get the chemical taste off of them so I stopped using them.
Even on my most uncomfortable stems I can’t bring myself to use them.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Every pipe has its place and sometimes you just want to smoke a BFP. Tonight I am smoking a 1lb meerschaum. Over the top, maybe, but I'm enjoying it.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
For me it depends on the shape. The deeper the bend the heavier it can be to comfortably to clench. I have an Oom Paul/bent ball hybrid that weighs in at 3.25 oz (92 gms) that clenches comfortably but a straight Dublin weighing 2.25 oz (64 gm) that is uncomfortable to clench for more than 30 seconds

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anyone use these gizmo's?
JQ6YHRR.jpg
Yep

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Softies can have a negative influence, since they are springy. Like perhaps a lot of people, I tend to flex my jaw and teeth against them, actually pumping up my jaw muscle and causing more pressure rather than less. Folks who are a little tightly wired anyway may have this problem more, I don't know. I do have one softy on a MM cob that has the standard plastic stem, since I seem to chew through those. It's a light weight pipe, so the jaw pumping isn't a problem.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I use the bits.
Also there's no reason not to clench other than having pipes that make it uncomfortable.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you don't remove them and wipe down the stem after a smoke, the button end will become discolored. And gross looking. Don't ask how I know.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The majority of my pipes fall in the 40-55 gram weight range. I do have some heavier ones that I hold while smoking. I always look at the weight of a pipe before buying as it is a big deal for me.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
If you don't remove them and wipe down the stem after a smoke, the button end will become discolored. And gross looking. Don't ask how I know.
With ebonite this is very true, but with acrylic it is not a big deal.
I have very sensitive teeth and I find any stem material very hard to clench. So the softie bits have been in use on my pipe stems for the last few years; they have allowed me to smoke my pipes with pleasure over the last few years -- I am very thankful that they exist. I've experienced no chemical taste with softie bits at all. There is a texture difference and this is what some find so deplorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.