PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend toward 1.5 ounces, since it is still possible, at that weight, to get a good big bowl, but forego the weight. I have some bigger heavier pipes, and I like their looks, and enjoy them smoked while seated. But older teeth prompt me not to try to clench 'em and to hold them in my mouth for lighting and tamping carefully. Nothing like ancient root canals and caps to make you pay attention. I don't think I'd buy much heavier than 1.6 or 1.8 at this point. Cobs are good on that score. Pipes that are small and light and have surprisingly ample chambers are really nice -- I have a number in that category.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I clench and heavier than 1.5oz makes it uncomfortable.
I generally try to buy under 1oz or as close to 1oz as possible. I also try to always make sure there's a minimum of .25" thickness on the walls.
I'm going to have to break that rule when I finally buy one of those IMP Meer's I've been wanting but I won't be clenching it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I guess I have fewer "large" or Heavy than lightweight to begin with, but I enjoy the variety same as with tobacco.

I tend to hand hold the big ones and only clench for lighting.

My Savinelli Trevi 616 is my biggest by weight. It actually clenches rather easily, but I try to minimize the practice with this one.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I also tend to lighter pipes due to clenching, but also look for balance as a heavy pipe of the right balance point is completely fine. And I have some pipes which are heavy and reserved for times that I plan to sit and smoke without clenching. I'll smoke those when I have company so I am not constantly talking through a stem. I also despise softy bits, so I tend to look for vulcanite and ebonite stems.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm not a clencher and prefer large pipes. Early on tried clenching and found it uncomfortable, which raises the question for me- why clench?

Jul 15, 2011
I don't mind a heavier pipe. I've got an old Myers Bulldog pipe that I keep in the nightstand in the event of intruders. You knock someone in the head with that SOB and they're not getting up for a while. :mrgreen:
In all fairness, weight has never been an issue when pipe shopping for me. I'm rarely a clincher and when I am, I have pipes that fit that specific need. But usually when I'm smoking it's just me in my office browsing the forums, and I'm usually just sitting relaxing in my big recliner.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Straight pipe clencher here that keeps it at, around, or under an ounce. :puffy:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Why clench?
I mean, why not? I understand people who choose not to clench, don't get me wrong. But that seems a silly question. Pros: hands free, steady smoking, cadence, smoking becomes routine and not thought about, you look cool (slightly sarcastic), and the list goes on. Cons: uncomfortable if the wrong pipe (easily fixed with a different pip), might not be the best for our teeth, and you can sound funny when you talk (I've gotten pretty good at no one noticing).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why clench?
It I didn't clench I couldn't operate the chainsaw, work cameras, drive a vehicle, and in my youth, apply handcuffs, write citations, till out reports, twirl my baton (stick, crowd favorite), the list goes on. Basically, I needed my hands for other duties and I certainly wouldn't do it if I found it uncomfortable.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If a person wants to smoke and they need to be using their hands a bunch at the same time, then I could understand clenching. But, the only thin I ever do while smoking involving use of my hands is to read or drink tea which doesn't really require clenching. Can't comment on the "cool factor." 8)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Definitely, I do quite a lot of driving and still to this day can't get accustomed to those softy bites, so from here,if I don't want my stems to get full of teeth marks I should avoid buying those heavier big pipes.

floridapipeman

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2018
Anyone use these gizmo's?
JQ6YHRR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.