Do Yellow Acrylic Stems Smoke Cooler Than Black Stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Just throwing this question out for discussion. It sometimes feels to me that my yellow pipe stems smoke cooler than my black ones. Is this real or imagined?

We know that a black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and converts them into heat, so the object gets warm. A white or lighter object generally reflects all wavelengths of light, so the light is not converted into heat and the temperature of the object does not increase noticeably.

Thoughts?

(click on photo to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_9642.jpeg
    IMG_9642.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 17
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Maybe... There is a possibility that the pipes you have with yellow stems are drilled better, or have a draw more to your liking. But there is zero chance that they smoke better because of stem color.

It could also be some form of cognitive bias, you perceive the pipes to smoke better simply because you have an affinity for them based in some part to stem color.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just throwing this question out for discussion. It sometimes feels to me that my yellow pipe stems smoke cooler than my black ones. Is this real or imagined?

<< Snipped bits out >>

Thoughts?
Yes, it's both. First, imagined, but if you really believe what "feels" to you as cooler, it is real. Or, purtanear.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It’s highly unlikely that the yellow stems smoke any differently with regard to temperature as compared to the black stems—what may be an unaccounted factor is the different shapes and thicknesses of the briar bowls and how the perceived heat in your hand may be different, which may colour your perception of the temperature of the smoke.

Through my experience with high-end audio over the last twenty-eight years, I do think there are instances where we’re not measuring the right things that might give a better idea of why something is different. The key is figuring out what to measure.

When I was playing competitive darts many years ago, I used a polymer flight system that came in a variety of colours. My friends and I found that the clear versions were more durable and lasted longer. I suspect that the pigments used meant less of the substrate was present because of the pigment taking up space within the polymer, making the flights more prone to tearing. Several friends used to mix and match colours with a set of three flights. I opted to use the same colour (or lack thereof) for all three after I discovered the black flights were a bit heavier than the clear—same darts, same shaped flights from the same company, but whenever I used the black flights, my darts dipped in the back when entering the dartboard instead of landing level or with the backs slightly up. This was consistent and repeatable. Small things can make differences.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When I was playing competitive darts many years ago...

It sure was fun, wasn't it?

Discovered that I had a knack, and went all in for a while. (Then a lovely girl came along, and, well, my interests were re-directed... lol)

Anyway, was captain of a team that won the Greater Phoenix League Championship three seasons in a row, won a televised cricket tournament final once, and was a Western States All-Stars team alternate.

And I still have half a shoebox filled with tungsten dart bodies, assorted shafts & flights, and two diamond wire bristle boards in a closet.

Coming up on 40 years ago... (now that's a weird feeling)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.