PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pipestud, thanks for chiming in. As someone who has been in the hobby for a while, you can see the changes over time.
Virginialover, a Canadian piper has to make a commitment huh? Its not a cheap undertaking. But I think through internet ordering we still have a better selection now than 20-25 years ago. Now if only Brighams were still made here!

Mar 29, 2016
Internet ordering from the U.S. yes, but I was talking about the tax hike that hit us. That's a sure killer of the hobby in Canada because it means less pipe smokers. Ordering thru the internet is risky and your order is already paid in U.S. dollars, "don't get me started on our current government" so yeah I think that the Canadian Golden Age for pipe smokers is gone. We're on survival mode here but luckily we have our neighbours.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
virginialover - back during Prohibition, Canadians attempted to help out U.S. citizens by smuggling booze across the boarder. You need to find some U.S. pipe smokers willing to help you out two or three pounds at a time.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hey, be careful, tho. Some people here think you guys buy shoes here & scuff 'em up to smuggle across the border.... :crazy: Probably have a cataleptic fit if you did baccy that way.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Today has both good and bad for pipe smokers. I love all the pipe and tobacco options. I love that I can have both delivered to my doorstep in two to four days. It's great to have forums that provide ideas, information and sources.
It sucks that the anti smoking Nazis have made smokers pariahs and driven us into the seclusion of only enjoying a bowl of tobacco in a pipe shop, man cave or back porch. It sucks that pipe tobacco icons are shutting their doors due to supply shortages and social pressure. It sucks that the majority of brick and mortars have closed their doors. It sucks to live near a city the size of Indianapolis and not have one average pipe and tobacco shop. And it sucks most of all that it is going to get worse and never get better.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Well, Mike, you could at least not encourage it. }:)
And I agree with our brother hpg, too. More than a little of a sad trade-off. I don't hate to say, I miss the old days more than a bit.

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I live near Milano and, in the old days, I saw in the Savinelli shop in the center of the city the sign "Si prega di fumare", i.e. "Please smoke", instead of "No smoking", obviously the sign has been removed years ago... The tobacco shop "Hobby Fumo", near to the Savinelli shop, haven't any tobacco-related article in the window anymore, but there is the legal (light) marijuana….

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I think we'll have a better idea of how to answer this question in 5 years.
The big boys & the government bureaucrats (there's a revolving door between them) went after the small independent vaping companies to drive them out of business, most likely. Pipe tobacco & premium cigars are collateral damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.