Do Missouri Meerschaum Hardwoods Last Longer Than Cobs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
New Accessories
3 Fresh marTelo Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
If they are splitting, maybe trim the cake. I consume cobs like you. I can't smoke a wood or meer like I can smoke a cob, and I abuse them on vacation on the beach or water. It's a nice change from the nice, easy smokes on the patio or in a smoking club.

I actually make it a point to never let my cobs build a cake, past the initial break in period of getting the bowl carbonized from top to bottom. After that first week or so of smoking I always wipe down the inside of the bowl with a folded up pipe cleaner after every smoke to prevent cake buildup; which I had read was the best way to maintain a cob since cake buildup can cause the cob to crack.

In any case, I did email Missouri Meerschaum customer service this afternoon to explain what was going on so I'll be curious to see what their thoughts on the matter are.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I predominantly smoke cobs and have not ran into an issue like this. The shapes I've smoked the most are Country Gentleman's, Legends with the Rob Roy shaped bowl, and unfinished Morgans. I will even allow them to build cake and then shave it back when needed. I have an Ozark hardwood but haven't smoked it enough to say how durable it is for the long term but I would think it could last awhile in the right conditions. I don't smoke a lot of aromatics out of my cobs though, so you might be on to the issue. Hopefully you can figure it out and let us know.