PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
hey, i just bought my first pipe and some tobacco, it came with a lot of things like;
-the pipe
-2 aromatics
-some filters
-pipe cleaners
-little hammer
-2 mason jars
View attachment 192040
do I need more things? My goal is to some day to have a big cellar mini room and a lot of pipes, Thanks
Sorry i have the sense of humor of a 12 yr old and I’m still laughing at the “little hammer”.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Pretty cool little hammer. 🔨

Also, at some point, you’ll want to invest in a bottle of 151/190 proof Everclear, just stick to clear grain alcohol, to dip cleaners in, to run through the shank and depending on shank size, maybe dipping a qtip in the Everclear to clean out the shank/mortise area, and also running occasionally a dipped cleaner through the stems.

Probably every 1-2 weeks, depending on how much smoking, I do this on a few pipes, especially if a pipe might build some moisture at the bottom, you’ll end up getting that, for a lack of better words, the wet/tobacco stinky taste.

P.S. Even when smoking, if the pipe starts to get that funky moisture taste, run a cleaner or two through it, you’ll figure out this taste in time/experience.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
do I need more things?
We could get real philosophical here… rotf

But in all seriousness you have to figure out what works for you. I wouldn’t want less than 4 pipes if I was smoking just briars. This is because I prefer to smoke two in the same day and alternate between them so that I’m always smoking a dry-ish pipe. Then, the next day the other two tag in and allow the previous two pipes to dry. When I first started smoking a pipe I smoked one cob until it was so gnarly that I threw it out and I bought another one. Cheers and welcome to the forum.