PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wheelspin

Lurker
Jun 18, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello,

I am following this forum for a long time and decided to post my first question as I am laboring with my pipe and bad taste.

I bought my first pipe (Vauen Basic, slightly bent) in spring 2019 and started with tobaccos like McBarren Scottish Mixture Blend, Capstain blue and Amphora Full Aroma. Why this tobaccos? As I life in Germany, it's pretty easy to get them (OTC). Obviously, as a newbie I struggled with packing and tongue bite. I got more and more frustrated and left the pipe for a long time aside. Perhaps I smoked too fast and hot. I produced a lot of dense smoke like a cigar. The new pipe had to stand a lot of violation.

However, at the beginning of 2020 I gave it a new try. I done my research and bought some (I hope) high quality tobaccos:
- Caledonian Highland Cream
- DTM (Dan Tobacco): Da Vinci, Devil's Holiday and Sweet Honeydew Vanilla.

The first puffs of Caledonian did not taste well. After a while, I gentle noticed some flavours though not often. As result, I haven't had any tongue bite anymore. Afterwards, I smoked Devil's Holiday and SHV.
I was really impressed by Devil's holiday. It was the first time I really enjoyed a pipe (without any relight) and could taste the wonderful wild-berry aroma for rough the whole bowl, it worked out a few times. At this moment I thought I got it unlike I gave SHV a try. Can't taste anything. Puffed it a few times, no aroma, tastes like old socks. Sorry, but I was able to build a fine cake at the first half of the bowl (is this ok?). I always have leftover tobacco and I'm not able to smoke till bottom.

What is my problem now? Since I smoked every time an other tobacco my pipe doesn't taste well any more. I'm not able to taste any aroma, all bowls taste the same. I thoroughly clean my pipe after every smoke with a pipe cleaner and cloth to get rid off all ash and leftover. It rests over 48 hours between next use.

What ought I do? Buy a new pipe? Did I ruin the pipe? Should I give a corn cob a try to check whether the pipe is burned?

(If you find mistakes, just correct me. I am not a native speaker).

Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I don't know how is it with you but I always "need" a new pipe ?

The leftover tobacco can be there because the pipe isn't drilled correctly or you packed the pipe too tight at the bottom. I think the latter is more likely because Vauens are usually very well constructed/engineered pipes.

I can't comment on these tobaccos simply because I have never tried them. The cake starts to build up in the moment you ignite the tobacco in the bowl. But what you call a "fine cake", I think is just mainly ash and some burnt surface of the wood. Building up a layer of cake takes a little bit more than a half bowl in most of the cases.

Resting a pipe for 48 hours is always good. Sometimes I smoke only one pipe for half night (maybe 6-8 bowls in a row?) and nothing happens to it. I'm not saying that I would recommend to do it, just telling that these briars are quite tough and even though we try to ruin them, it is not that easy to do it. ? But if you worry about burning it out then maybe it is also worth a try to invest into a meer-line pipe (Brebbias and Vauens are quite good in my opinion) or a full meerschaum, maybe a clay (old tavern pipe).

For your last question: As a corn cob pipe is rather cheap, it is worth a try. I have a MM Dagner poker and a MM Missouri pride. Definitely not my favourite pipes but hey - life is short and the best you can do is to try as many pipes and tobaccos possible.

Wheelspin

Lurker
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks for fast reply. I'll try to be more patient and stop worrying about failed attempts.

Do you recommend to clean out the bowl using the salt & alcohol method? When is it necessary?

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Just take out ash from the pipe. And ream the bowl when the layer of cake is over about 1,5mm (or more), but don't overream it. Otherwhise it doesn't require any more maintenance. I use one pipe cleaner to clean the airway after every smoke and sometimes a few paper towels for the rim and also for the airholes. But that's it.
As Mike said, salt and alcohol is needed usually for cleaning estates.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That is generally only used when cleaning estate (used) pipes, or when there is a strong ghost (smell of previous tobacco soaked into the wood). A good wipe with a paper towel is all a bowl needs in my opinion.
^^^This.

I remove the stem from my pipe and rinse the whole thing under running water, "ream" the chamber with a wet paper towel, and use a pipe cleaner for the airway.

If you don't like the idea of running water over your pipe (it took me a while to get use to it), use a folded and wet paper towel to clean the chamber and use wet, then dry, pipe cleaners.

- Devil's Holiday and Sweet Honeydew Vanilla.

These are two of my favorite aromatics and they retain their flavors even after significant drying so don't be afraid of some extra dry time. Pack them lightly and tamp if necessary while smoking. As others have said, getting them to the point where they just barely stay lit id the best point.

Also, ever-so-slight retrohaling works great with these.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welkommen. (sp?) Your English is very good; worry not.

It sounds to me as if what you're smoking could use more drying time, as you mention tongue bite and not being able to smoke to near the bottom.

I just run hot tap water down the chamber and out the stem. Keeps me and the lady happy.

You can put your location in your Profile, (because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.