Do Differences in Meershaum Pipes Quality Exist ad/or Matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Looks like Altinay has gone up as well. They've all gone beyond what I'm willing to justify to pay so I'd just say go with what you like. I've found some sub $100 no name estates that have become my favorites.

I like Altinay, but like you said, prices have definitely gone up. Also, what Said posts on Instagram rarely makes it to the website. Website offerings seem to be a bit stagnant at times.

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
Sms has to be my favorite pipes by far. You can get really great smokers for under 100 dollars.
I'll have to look into them. Although right now I've been more so on the briar side. Every once in a while a meer catches my eye, but more often than not, I'd rather get a nice Castello, Ser Jacopo, etc. Lately I've been eyeing a Yeti that looks quite unique.

In any case, that price does seem very good especially if they're good quality.

Reactions: didimauw

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
4 days later, no word back from the TuWun store on Aliexpress that supposedly sells Baki’s pipes.

I only opened an Aliexpress account to see about the availability of a pipe, but 4 days later, no word, I deleted the account.

Stay away from TuWun on Aliexpress if you’re looking for customer support to buy a Baki, if they even have any more in stock. 👎

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Meerschaums are great smokers. I would say the most important thing is to make sure it's drilled properly and has a good stem. This can be tough if you're buying by mail order. puffy

Reactions: TN Jed

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Beginners - do not make the mistake I did. Bought off Amazon from a small maker who also advertised on a few Facebook groups. The price was right and I figured, how hard could it be to make a simple pipe? I'm not picky about stems. Well I quickly learned how bad it could be. First of all, the plastic screw tenon insert is a disaster. Good luck getting a pipe cleaner through it. It gunks up after every smoke. That's not even the worst part. Even the bowl itself has a very small hole and the pipe cleaner needs to be forced in to make it all the way through. It often gets plugged up mid-bowl which completely destroys the enjoyment, forcing me to take it apart and clean it mid-smoke.

One day I will invest in a proper meerschaum pipe because when it works it smokes gloriously, but it's definitely not worth cheaping out on because for the price of a "cheap" meerschaum you can get an amazing briar pipe.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Beginners - do not make the mistake I did. Bought off Amazon from a small maker who also advertised on a few Facebook groups. The price was right and I figured, how hard could it be to make a simple pipe? I'm not picky about stems. Well I quickly learned how bad it could be. First of all, the plastic screw tenon insert is a disaster. Good luck getting a pipe cleaner through it. It gunks up after every smoke. That's not even the worst part. Even the bowl itself has a very small hole and the pipe cleaner needs to be forced in to make it all the way through. It often gets plugged up mid-bowl which completely destroys the enjoyment, forcing me to take it apart and clean it mid-smoke.

One day I will invest in a proper meerschaum pipe because when it works it smokes gloriously, but it's definitely not worth cheaping out on because for the price of a "cheap" meerschaum you can get an amazing briar pipe.
I seem to remember writing about this very thing in an earlier thread. The problem is that most of these Turkish "pipe makers" are not really pipe makers but just carvers. puffy

Reactions: geoffs
Status
Not open for further replies.