Do Barber Shops Still Give a Straight Razor Shave?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My barber uses a straight razor to trim the neck during a hair cut and also offers full straight razor shaves. It's not cheap, but definitely a nice treat. The last time I did it was for my wedding though. Also, my barber uses disposable blades that fit into a straight razor handle due to state or local hygienic regulations. That also negates the need for traditional blade maintenance.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Man do I love having a beard. Just some light buzzing with a trimmer once a month and maybe a little cheek/neck shave if I’ve got to be presentable, which, to be terribly honest is practically never and that is accomplished with one of those yellow handled prison razors.

It’s estimated that, over the course of a lifetime, your average man will spend 1,080 hours shaving....that’s forty-five days. I guess if you’re doing it, you might as well find a way to make it enjoyable.

When I was a kid, I watched my grandpa getting shaved at the barber’s and the old man barber sliced his thumb wide open and had to leave my grandpa half shaved, which was as funny to me then as it is now. Grandpa got his money back.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I went to a wedding out of town. Looked for a place to get a shave. Didn't think I had to ask for a straight razor shave but apparently I did.

I got to the shop and she pulls out a gillette 5 blade and I asked about the straight razor. She didn't know how. I left. Finally found a place after calling about 20 places. Everyone used regular razors or shavettes. Eventually I found a place. Had to make an appointment the next day. Cost $30 for a shave because it was a gentlemans boutique. They gave me a choice of shavette or straight. Shavette was $5 or $10 cheaper. Closest barber shop was 50 miles away. They charged $10.

The barber I used to go to locally sold his shop. Then it was sold again. Thought about checking to see if they do straight razor shaves. I like my beard though. Especially in the winter time.

I don't think the shavette and straight razor gives you similar shaves. The straight razor works better. The shavette gave me razor burn. I think if the barber gives you razor burn the shave should be free. Especially if you tell them they need to use oil before they put on the shaving cream.

Many shops don't keep oil on hand. Some don't know what you're talking about. Ever since I started using preshave oil, no rashes or burns.

Sometimes I need to oil up and lather certain areas like my neck and my chin line more than once.

The hair on my neck changes direction. On either side of my throat there's an area that grows down, the other part grows up. And the beard there is like wire. Really tough.

On my face my beard grows down. Only those 2 strips on my neck is where it changes direction. So when I tell the barber, they look at me like I lost my mind. Until they see for themselves.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Sadly today most barbers don't know how to, or understand the necessity of, "turning the burr" with the final stropping. Much hard learned old school knowledge has disappeared from the world as we know it.

Yeah I've had to tell several barbers that their razor either needed stropping or sharpened and asked, sometimes I had to demand, they use a different straight razor or get a different person all together to do the shave.

I wonder if they still train barbers with the balloon shave technique? Supposedly if you can shave a ballon without popping it you can do a perfect shave. I have no idea if the barber that told me that was just screwing with me or if he was serious.

After I started learning to shave with a straight razor I found out they have a training razor. The way I learned was to sneak up on the proper angle instead of putting the edge straight on your skin and cutting the crap out of yourself.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Man do I love having a beard. Just some light buzzing with a trimmer once a month and maybe a little cheek/neck shave if I’ve got to be presentable, which, to be terribly honest is practically never and that is accomplished with one of those yellow handled prison razors.

It’s estimated that, over the course of a lifetime, your average man will spend 1,080 hours shaving....that’s forty-five days. I guess if you’re doing it, you might as well find a way to make it enjoyable.

When I was a kid, I watched my grandpa getting shaved at the barber’s and the old man barber sliced his thumb wide open and had to leave my grandpa half shaved, which was as funny to me then as it is now. Grandpa got his money back.

I love my beard too but sometimes I like to change things up. Even when I go to restaurants I try new things. Depending on if I'm craving something or not like Carnitas or Chimichangas.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I started shaving with DE razors 7 years ago. The difference in quality of a shave between DEs and cartridges is significant. And my razors now are much better than what I started with.

I spent 1 1/2 years shaving with straight razors only. A big part of the draw for me is restoring hundred year old razors and honing. I can actually get closer shaves with aggressive DEs, but there’s just something about the straights.

All of it is old school, kind of like smoking pipes.

2F3789FB-1580-4C46-AD44-6196C62BB266.jpeg

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I started shaving with DE razors 7 years ago. The difference in quality of a shave between DEs and cartridges is significant. And my razors now are much better than what I started with.

I spent 1 1/2 years shaving with straight razors only. A big part of the draw for me is restoring hundred year old razors and honing. I can actually get closer shaves with aggressive DEs, but there’s just something about the straights.

All of it is old school, kind of like smoking pipes.

View attachment 68779

DE? Do you mean safety razors? Oh you mean double edge. I've always called them safety razors.

I've been looking for a couple of good carbon steel straight razors on eBay. I've seen some listed as carbon, but they were stainless. Or carbon stainless. Not sure how I feel about carbon stainless.

I want a couple so I can still shave when one needs sharpening. I think 2 will be sufficient. I can always use one of my safety razors.

I used to get razor burn or break out. But I asked a lot of questions and found out if you use a hot towel like the pros, or cold, some people cold works better. Use a preshave oil before lathering up, and never shave without the oil and soap.

Soap or cream is a matter of preference. I think the soap is usually slicker and lasts longer. It may also have ingredients that are beneficial to your skin.

I also use a scuttle. One of the hollow ones. I put hot water in it and it keeps the soap warm.

After following all that, shaving actually became enjoyable. I never shave completely. I like to have a mustache and beard in one form or another. I change it up.

Has anyone used one of those shavettes?

How well does it work?

How is it compared to a straight razor?

Any noticeable difference?

From my research there are people that swear by shavettes or by the straight razor. Some say there's no real difference, others claim one or the other is better. My guess is I'll have to find out for myself. Thanks

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I don't go to barber shops or hairdressers very often - last had a haircut 50 weeks ago to the day (and the shops have all just closed again as we've gone back into full COVID lockdown so my hair is safe for a bit longer) and I have a full beard.

However; before I retired my hair was shorter (but probably still considered very long by the standards of some around these parts) and I trimmed the beard once or twice a week. As I travelled a lot for work I ended up getting haircuts in various countries and in my experience Central/Eastern European and Asian hairdressers/barbers still use straight razors to clean up the back and sides (I never enquired about less they suddenly attack my beard). Only place I went to in Sydney that used them had mainly Japanese staff.

I didn't ever have a haircut in the US despite many months working there over a 10 year period as most people I worked with had crew cuts or military cuts - I was terrified what would happen if let an American barber loose on my long hair!

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I use to flip straights I would pickup at flea markets and garage sales.. sharpen, replace pins sometimes make new scales. Naniwa wet stones, etc.
Now I use the best of both worlds

s2_img1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.