Do Barber Shops Still Give a Straight Razor Shave?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Anybody remember when they were kids what a haircut cost? I remember $1.75 in Tulsa in the 60's and the barber lathered my ears and neck and swiped them clean from hair with his straight razor--then came the whisk/brush to clear the hair off--then some sort of powder he put on with a brush I think (what the heck was that stuff?). How much is your hair cut now (wife's been cutting my hair for 40 years now!).
mike

Last edited by a moderator:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Anybody remember when they were kids what a haircut cost? I remember $1.75 in Tulsa in the 60's and the barber lathered my ears and neck and swiped them clean from hair with his straight razor--then came the whisk/brush to clear the hair off--then some sort of powder he put on with a brush I think (what the heck was that stuff?). How much is your hair cut now (wife's been cutting my hair for 40 years now!).
mike
That was usually Clubman powder. I still have them use it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never had a barbershop shave. I think I'm the only person who has ever shaved my face. Today I wouldn't have the trust that a barber would have the experience to do a good job. My wife gave me the only haircut I've had during the Covid thing, and it the best haircut I've had in memory. Maybe because she's the person who has to look at me!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've been a monthly member at The Shave Cave - https://www.theshavecave.com for six years, and go twice a month.

SIGNATURE SHAVE
Face wash, hot towel, pre-shave oil applied, facial massage, hot towel, lather applied with shave brush and straight razor shave with the grain, hot towel, lather reapplied and shave cross or against the grain, after shave spritz, ice cold towel, rose water tonic and after shave moisturizer applied.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My “barber” comes to my house and she cuts at least five so it really works out for her. She does straight shaves or whatever. It’s crazy convenient.

The dude that washes my truck comes to my house as well.

The meat that I eat comes from a butcher that raises his own, butchers, processes and delivers it. Or from my cousins elk, deer, moose game bird hunting outings.

I’m extremely fortunate. But I’m so busy and on the run it’s the only way it works.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've been going to a single chair barber shop for years. He lathers and shaves the back of my neck with a straight razor every time. He also trims any stray ear hears and trims the eyebrows.

There is nothing better than a barber shop. I will never go to a chain assembly line 'salon'.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
There is nothing better than a barber shop. I will never go to a chain assembly line 'salon'.
Ditto. I've had a standing weekly appointment with my barber for years. It's $22 for the shave and the process takes about 30 minutes. Here's what's included: beard trim, hot towel, pre-shave oil applied, facial massage, hot towel, straight razor shave with the grain, hot towel, after shave spritz, ice cold towel, and after shave moisturizer applied.

Reactions: scloyd and macaroni

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I've been a monthly member at The Shave Cave - https://www.theshavecave.com for six years, and go twice a month.

SIGNATURE SHAVE
Face wash, hot towel, pre-shave oil applied, facial massage, hot towel, lather applied with shave brush and straight razor shave with the grain, hot towel, lather reapplied and shave cross or against the grain, after shave spritz, ice cold towel, rose water tonic and after shave moisturizer applied.
Wow--how cool! I went to your link and loved reading about it!! Until the above post a few back, and the info at your link--I didn't know people had their heads shaved with a straight razor!! How great!!! I loved having a shaved head many decades ago when in the service--loved the feel of the cold steel bunk/rack pipe against my bare head when I went to sleep--course there was no a/c and this was in the summer on PI :)

Thnx for sharing and for the link.

Now -- St. Peteresburg--what a BEAUTIFUL place! Our daughter took us to eat at a restaurant with a deck right on the beach and they actually took bets on how long before the sun dipped below the horizon--NEVER HAD HEARD THAT BEFORE, also! How fun!! Someone one a free drink that evening--I think they did that every night! Good food and a view beyond description!!!
kindly,
mike

Reactions: admin
Status
Not open for further replies.