PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Picked up ten tins of Balk Sasieni on a 4 noggins deal. But now I'm wondering if Balkans or English blends age that well. I know Virginias get better. Think aromatics deteriorate. But Lats and similar?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
From what I've read on the forums here is that english/Balkans tend to mellow more over the course of some aging. Now I dont know what point of time that takes place, so if you like the current pop of a particular blend, time will take the edge off of that "pop". It's up to you to decide I you're good with that.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Balkan Sasieni is the type of blend that can be enjoyed straight away and benefit from some age. Dont be afraid to put some a way for the future, it will be worth the wait.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you think about it, Balkan Sasieni is really one version of Balkan Sobrainie. Folks are shelling out $400.00-$800.00 for very well aged tins of that. Bodes well for Sasieni's long term outlook. It won't fetch the same prices but the results might very well be similar.
Mike S.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Balkan Sobranie has benefited from two things: Age and Legend. The blend, back in the day, was exceptional. Time has mellowed and melded that blend...morphing it into a smoother and more nuanced creation. The rarity of those aged BS tins, combined with the interweb legend of the blend and its evolution, manifests itself as high value. I mean, hell, if you have the money to buy what is alleged to be the best, then what is money but a means to an end?
What will be the future "best"? Certainly, the consumers of Balkan Sobranie in the 1970's and 80's were without clue that their blend would be the next Nirvana. My suggestion to pipe tobacco investors would be to stick with quality...and to work on your marketing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Balkan blends, like other English, will benefit from aging for a while. Age has the effect of toning down the Latakia as well as causing the various components to merge into a unified flavor. The overall effect is a flavor that is less bright but more mellow.
According to Pease, the first 2 years provide the greatest amount of change, then the pace of ripening slows down. Eventually tobaccos, like wines, hit their aging limit and fade.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank you all. At 60 years old, (I grimmaced as I typed this), I'm happy to know that aging blends just two years provides significant improvement. I can't assume I'be be around in 20 or 30 years to appreciate the return.
I have some Escudo that has a year, so just one more year to go, God willing, before I tap into them - maybe a tin a year.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
My rule of thumb with Balkans for ageing is the same as for DGT: the more Virginia (especially the light, bright, goldens) the more agreeable the blend is to ageing (and DGT).
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
My rule of thumb with Balkans for ageing is the same as for DGT: the more Virginia (especially the light, bright, goldens) the more agreeable the blend is to ageing (and DGT).
hp

les

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
On Oriental forward Balkans, the ages improves the Orientals and irons out the Latakia. I opened a tin of McConnell Oriental I had in the back of the closet for about five years. All that was left of the Latakia was a slight, smoky leatheriness, it was phenomenal. Blends like Oriental, Presbyterian, Exotique, White Knight, Durbar or Peretti Royal improve on a longer line than Latakia heavy blends.
In the heavy Latakia Balkans, I think a little time helps get rid of the raw, sooty sometimes acrid edge to the Latakia, but not so much age that fades.

Status
Not open for further replies.