PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I don't recall which was which, but in high school German class they did describe German German and PA Dutch German as one being "high german" and the other being "low german."
Another novelty: in elementary school the Amish weren't allowed to speak Pennsylvania Dutch because they would generally swear and call names in a language with English didn't know. Yes. I can still swear in PA Dutch. Lol.
And yes - many Amish went to our public elementary. Although most went to their on Amish schools.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
There is quite a spectrum in the Amish and Mennonite community. I've met some who had smart phones and drove cars.

lordbrylon

Lurker
Aug 5, 2016
I live in NJ about 2 hours away from Lancaster, PA and every week, a large group of Amish (maybe Mennonites?) get driven over to sell their wood burning stoves and their meats and their pastries, and their sheds and other woodworking products (birdfeeders, birdhouses, lawn ornaments). They must take a ton of money back home with them.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
his dad (my grandfather) refused to raise tobacco, because he felt tobacco was a sin.
It's good to have choices.

What we define as 'sin' in religiosity usually involves control over procreation, at least originally.

Wasting time is a judgement call. Hello?

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
What we define as 'sin' in religiosity usually involves control over procreation, at least originally.

Ahhhh......you have no understanding of the Mennonite/Amish religions.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think the Mormons are right about caffeine. It's a great drug, but it is a drug. I can see why people might like cocaine, if it's like caffeine, although it scares the heck out of me (don't do drugs, kids... and if you do, don't listen to the Grateful Dead).

Status
Not open for further replies.