Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Has anyone noticed how specific the pipe display is? Trying to find a pipe with out know the exact brand and series is like pulling teeth.
I do a lot of research online before any purchases. Im like a little birdie "cheap, cheap"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think most of our sponsors do a fine job. Some are better than others, but I cut them a lot of slack. They are convenient for

locating specific products and doing online price comparisons.

Not least of all, they save us a bundle on taxes, and frequently on shipping too; and while I believe in supporting local B&M's,

in my case commuting costs and/or parking fees would eat me alive if they were my only source of supplies.
I don't think I really understand the initial question.
Has anyone noticed how specific the pipe display is?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would support my local B&Ms more, but my favorite one close by doesn't have much tobacco variety and no tinned items, the new guy has a large tin selection but is very expensive, the store that has the selection I like is unfriendly, and the other stores are more than an hour away in every direction. Online I can get what I want, when I want, and have it shipped to the house for the same price, without my having to drive or put up with nonsense.

I haven't ever had an issue with any of the sponsors here. Yeah, I wish I could see and feel and heft, etc, but you gotta get the ruler out, read the specs, and admire the pics of the pipes before you buy.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
This is the main page of new pipes. There is no way to see all pipes that I have found.

Due to lack of knowledge of the 50+ brands its a blind guess as to what Im going to see.
It forces you to narrow down by brand, or a couple of the more limited materials.
http://pipesandcigars.com/pipes1.html
It goes about the same across the board. A few have a slightly broader view, or at least offer sort by options.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Drive an hour to the closest B&M or, log online and buy immediately. Hmmmmmmm . . . .

That said, whenever possible I do go to the B&M.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think most online vendor's home page displays all kinds of eye candy and rightfully so. It is for publicity and marketing purposes. If you see a pipe you like on the home page you can email the vendor and ask for identification of the pipe and brand. Most are just photogenic show pieces for marketing purposes and I think a lot of folks understand that when going to a particular site. So, what you like may not be in stock.
Happy Hunting,
Pipestud

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My B&M does not offer many quality pipes, high end or low end. They are just meh!
So, I do a lot of online shopping and ordering. My goto is SP.com for most things. I also search 4Noggins, a great place to do business.
I think Roth has hit the nail squarely between the eyes: Better photos; more detailed information; put in all of the pipe's vital measurements; tell us the material in the stem; and delineate all of the issues on an estate pipe.
I have purchased a couple of eBay pipes that said one thing and came in with another. I was not happy. Better photos and information are the least a vendor can do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com is the front runner for online pipe and tobacco retailing, the pipe-by-pipe photos, and

a complete list of specs on each pipe. As I recall, Cup O Joes doesn't specify the shape, which leaves you

guessing if it is a subtle call, and they don't list weights; however C'Joes does have its own inventory where

you can get things you can't get other places. Other sites are somewhat awkward, in one way or another,

but mostly useable. In some cases, frustration can be as minor as not tipping a pipe slightly in the photo

to give a view of the thickness of the rim of the bowl. Some sites put the pipe in a little pipe rest, which

throws off the scale, so you don't know if you are looking at a traditional billiard or a pot, for example.

tobaccopipes.com leaves off a lot of specs on its pipes, but it does have the series of photos of the pipes

that allows you to gather a lot of information visually. I think smokingpipes.com has a number of younger,

tech saavy staffers for whom the site is a full-time job, and that really shows.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I understand on some of the higher end one offs. The stock photos for mass production is fine to me.

But none of them allow you to view all the pipes. Or even more than one brand.
Here is an example of a good web sale page. There are as many disc options as tobacco and pipes put together. But you have the ability to narrow them down. Not just look through them by brand.
http://www.discnation.com/Golf-Discs.html?sort=price

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I am a great fan on online shopping, tobacco in Canada is incredibly expensive because of taxes and this has caused a decline in smoking and B&M's. Its so great to go online and buy tobacco and pipes at the click of a mouse. I can read reviews from 1000's of people before I buy a blend and I can take every review with a grain of salt before I purchase something online. In our local store I often feel pressured into buying something I didn't actually want.
I like supporting local, I also like to feel a pipe in my hand before purchasing so in that aspect I prefer to go to a physical shop to buy pipes but for tobacco I would prefer to buy online. As well as finding everything I want without starting my car and wasting gas. I always know I'll find what I'm looking for. Also buying products I cant find locally is a lot easier shopping online. Quite a few great tobaccos are not available in Canada ie. Sutliff

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I have also found that SmokingPipes is offers the best pictures of the exact pipe your are purchasing online. I have always been very happy with each of my pipe choices from them. They offer great service & would recommend them to anyone looking to make a new pipe purchase.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I do enjoy smokingpipes.com I just wish the took PayPal I don't use a credit card to buy my pads and tads I use my bank account its way better and doesn't charge me interest. If they made PayPal a payment option I would buy a lot from them.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I also think Smoking Pipes does the best job except for one gripe. They don't say if a pipe will pass a cleaner. Mike at Briar Blues and Joel at The Briar Pipe are the only two that will state that to my knowledge. Do love that sexy jazz with the Smoking Pipes videos 8)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Got to 2nd Trout
Mike at Briar Blues gives all specs, whether or not a pipe cleaner will pass through, the weight, condition, etc. If you give him a call, he will tell you all he knows about the item.
Great guy

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I knew about SP but never really checked out website until now. The accolades posted here are spot on, IMO. Just spent the last 10 minutes playing around with their "pipe locator" function. Very cool feature.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I just went on the tobaccopipes website. They have a pretty good selection and the descriptions are no frills, good facts. No hype or jazz. The drawback is that they are unable to sell tobacco (Florida).
Have to admit, I'm tempted - there's a BC that is close to a Peterson Dracula except the stem is red with whitish swirls. The price point is great.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Thank you plateaugy, I had a feeling I was missing something on sp.com. Now I am at least happy with one site. lol

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
The worst display of abysmal run websites must be Petersons offical homepage. Look at this: http://www.peterson.ie/p/6496/antique-smooth-straight I mean, come on. It's freaking 2013! And they don't even list all of their models. Where's the Kapries, Blackrock and the alternate version of Rock of Cashel? And they can't fool me into buying a pipe if I don't get to see the exact pipe I'm buying. How hard can it be? The italian pipe retailers are really top notch when it comes to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.