PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Hello gentleman,
Please remember personal attacks are not allowed. Violation of this rule can and has gotten members banned.
Thank you,

Robert.
No Rudeness or Personal Attacks
10. While we honor passionate and informed discussion we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
'Rudeness' means deliberately discourteous comments directed at another member. 'Insulting posts' are those that treat another member with deliberate rudeness and contempt. 'Purposeless inflammatory posts' are posts that are designed purely to provoke a reaction and cause an unpleasant argument.
Such behaviour is not tolerated here.
We take a very firm line on these forums regarding personal attacks, so it is important for all members to understand the difference between disagreeing with the content of another member's posts, and making a personal attack on someone.
Our definition of a 'personal attack' includes:
attacking a member's motivation for a post

attacking a member's character

referring to a member in a contemptuous manner

belittling a member using sarcasm

making negative or rude statements about administrators or moderators

attacking people or groups based on race, age, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.

Disagreeing with comments made in another member's post does not constitute a personal attack. Members are allowed to refute the comments of other members and provide reasons why they don't agree. A member may also choose to contradict a comment and provide very little evidence to support their comments, and this does not count as a personal attack either. When a member chooses to attack the author of a post rather than the content of the post, that is a personal attack. Please keep your focus on the facts of the topic under discussion - not on the person with whom you disagree.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
(edited)
Scrubbing the outside stem and button with a soapy old toothbrush will lift dirt and germs from the surface, suspending them in an emulsion, which is then cleared away by rinsing in water. Applying alcohol internally with a pipe cleaner and externally to the button area (sparingly on vulcanite) is a good extra step to kill germs, remove tars and neutralize some ghosting. I generally wash the whole pipe externally with soapy water and washrag then rinse and towel dry. I scrape the inside of the bowl to remove cake then give a light sanding leaving a layer of carbon. Pipe cleaners and alcohol do the rest.

emosupremo

Lurker
Mar 9, 2018
Listerine? Otherwise, how about cetylpyridium chloride as in a mouthwash (many of which also contain denaturants for its ethanol...never use methanol which is toxic). I would not put this in the bowl but cetylpyridium chloride (or benzalkonium chloride) are cationic detergents that (usually) you see combs at barbershops floating in. Granted, Vulcanite is not stainless steel but plastic combs are closer in molecular makeup and surface properties.
I believe the USP says that ethanol concentrations above 16 percent (it depends very much on pH) is required for ethanol to be a PRESERVATIVE. I don't know how that translates into being a SPOROCIDAL (spores are real hard to kill).
BTW, after Hurricane Sandy the news told us not to use pure bleach but dilute 1:10...it was more effective antimicrobial when diluted. Just wanted to through that out there. More is not better.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Walker Pipe Repair is great and do most of my work. I own over 100 pipes, 90 of them estates and many cleaned up myself, I only use Everclear to disinfect, Murphy’s oil soap and a tooth brush to clean the outside and Zymol detail to polish it up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Moonshine on the chamber, airway, and mortise. Soap and water on the stem. Alcohol can cause microfractures in acrylic stems.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
If you do choose to use bleach, keep in mind that bleach has an expiration date. It will still work for keeping your undergarments white, but forget about it for disinfecting purposes such as purifying water, killing bacteria, etc.
And boiling stems is also not a great idea unless you want your bent stem to turn back into a straight stem. Works great for softening stems to rebend them though. I do it all the time. I hate the radical bends on cob stems, so I buy the straight replacement stems and bend them the way I want it. You can also change the bend of a bent cob stem but that is trickier and you risk pinching off the airway unless done with care.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The problem I have with bleach is, sure, it will deoxidize a stem, but it also pits it if soaked too long. Try Oxyclean for the soak....works great....no pitting and saves a lot of elbow grease sanding.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Fill and spark is my method, soon I ghost it with my own particular taste in tobacco selection. As for health issues, I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take, as all pipe smokers are refined gentlemen. Keep in mind, I don't always use condoms either.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I could not imagine using bleach, I used oxyclean a few times but I swear I can still smell it on those pipes long after, now I just get on with the sanding and forgo the soak. I cannot believe I have never thought of a drill bit (thanks sable), that would definitely make initial airway crude cleaning quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.