PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm unclear on the liabilities of this pipe, but I still remember the pipe that was filled with cake and had the top sawed off. Wonder if that pipe ever sold?

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Check these. Not just restoration problems on fleabay ...
https://www.instagram.com/pipelist_com/

screen-shot-2016-04-02-at-pm72019-600x386.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/toddmjohnsonpipes/

screen-shot-2016-04-02-at-pm72112-316x600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, read the forums and learn something. I was unaware of the "Crackled top" finish on Charatan pipes. Bidding at $145 for now shows others did know of this finish/feature.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I remember having the same opinion of a Dunhill that looked like it had 2/3 of it sawed off. Turned out it was made that way too. I still don't like anything about that style of pipe.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Live and learn - what I really like about this sight. I would have avoided that pipe like the plague figuring it was a hatchet job, but now I know a bit more on what to look for. My eyes still wont accept it - I am with xrundog, that style isnt me at all.
Oh, and we should change the title of this thread to uniformed buyer. :)

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Guys - Thanks for a really informative thread which is also marked for genuine humility and a willingness to learn together. I really like the pipe in question, especially as you rarely see such pristine stamps and logo + paint on an aged pipe.
Andy

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Good reading and advice. Ebay keeps one on their toes. Thanks for the input George.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never been ripped off on ebay. I have never bought a pipe that I had not researched to the max. If you do your due diligence then you can get great deals on ebay. If you are not familiar with a certain pipe or brand of pipes, find someone who has the knowledge you need.
jesse,
As others here have pointed out, you need to do your homework if you're going to avoid being roadkill on the eBay highway.
This statement says it all for me. I am not an expert(yet) on Barling pipes. I have jesse to be my expert and I am not too proud to ask him for help before I even look at a Barling. Ask people who know more than you and you will save yourself money and headaches and then you can get some great deals on some great pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are views of the pipe that I want to see besides beauty shots. I want to see close ups of the bit and the slot, the rim, and the bowl walls. Pipes can look great on the outside and be a ruin inside.
Contact the seller to ask for better shots and to ask for more information if you need it. Most sellers are happy to oblige. If the seller doesn't oblige, move on.
I also don't bid on "no return" auctions. Despite what some sellers say, photography doesn't answer all questions. There is nothing like having the pipe in your hands to inspect.
Most importantly, know what you are buying. I've see all manner of undisclosed issues, like topping, replacement stems, re-stampings, and occasionally, fakes.
None of this is unique to eBay. I've seen these issues on a couple of on line dealer sites as well. It's not necessarily a question of deliberate deception, though that does happen. Sometimes the dealer doesn't know what he has.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bens-Charatan-Executive-W-Dublin-Freehand-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-/272198944747?hash=item3f605247eb:g:apgAAOSwJblXAcAG

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Pete, I was thinking along the same lines as you at first. I(we) always learn something here, thanks to the diverse knowledge base of our members. That's why I love this place!
Now about those pipes....... ugliest things in the world in my book! Not my cuppa!..... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.