PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end......... Just my .02............

But stock up just in case.......... [:puffy:]

I agree with you!

Dunhill (British American Tobacco = BAT) actually released a statement saying that they will be discontinuing their line of tobacco. It's understood that Dunhill is trying to distant themselves from tobacco which is why they've created White Spot. Dunhill as a designer doesn't want to be associated with the industry. This is how I took the news anyway.
Very sad business really.

Alfred Dunhill ltd aka The White Spot sold the tobacco off a decade or longer ago. LoL! BAT is a tobacco giant and not distancing themselves from tobacco or the Dunhill name. Dunhill has been and will continue to be the leading luxury cigarette brand in the world. It's just the low margin, outsourced production cigars and pipe tobacco that was said was going away. 8O

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently I don't know very much about the Dunhill brand. I like a couple of their blends but certainly won't mourn the loss of them. I completely forgot that they made cigarettes, I've haven't seen those in ages. Still sold in the States?

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
It looks like they are sold from $15-20 a carton when buying in bulk, to $28 dollars a carton when buying single cartons.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So what is the deal with the FDA, are they trying to totally shut down pipe tobacco?
Also what is up with the EU and Britian? Where is the rumor about Dunhill shutting down coming from?
Harriss, think of this as a Mongolian cluster fuck. Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.
Since the legislation was passed many years ago, Congress set up a couple of cut off dates affecting blends on the market. The first of these, February 15th 2007, sets the date for grandfathering in existing tobacco blends. If a blend was available before, on, and after this date, it is grandfathered in. For now...

The second date was the cut off for newer blends to continue to be sold without FIRST undergoing the ruinously expensive and vaguely defined FDA deeming process. That date was August 8th of 2016. And blends introduced to the market after that date needed to be FDA approved first. Then there was a third date, for compliance, that was August 8th 2018. That date has been pushed back to August 8th 2021. So the guillotine still exists, but it's date for being released has been moved back.
As for the Brits and the EU, they have their own sets of laws. Smoking is bad for you and it costs your countries billions of dollars every year in medical costs and lost productivity. So the countries are going to stamp it out one way or another.
Except for cigarettes, because those are so good for you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.
This is standard with regulation. Look who wrote the "net neutrality" rules and the big monopolists supporting them.
Then there's oil and gas. Any regulation there protects a giant company and penalizes smaller companies, except the ones that the giant companies need.
The more humans make rules, the more we make ruin. Rigid statements are just not very flexible when it comes to changing, complex circumstances.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
sablebrush52 : “ So what is the deal with the FDA, are they trying to totally shut down pipe tobacco?

Also what is up with the EU and Britian? Where is the rumor about Dunhill shutting down coming from?
Harriss, think of this as a Mongolian cluster fuck. Big Tobacco helps craft this legislation so that it makes the introduction of new blends potentially ruinously expensive by requiring all such blends to go through an FDA mandated Deeming process. This will effectively kill off their competition from vaping. Pipes and pipe tobacco are collateral damage. None of the movers and shakers care about pipes and pipe tobacco. Big Tobacco has the deep pockets to continue while paying for FDA approval. Shitty cigarettes will abound. Boardrooms will resound with jubilation.
Since the legislation was passed many years ago, Congress set up a couple of cut off dates affecting blends on the market. The first of these, February 15th 2007, sets the date for grandfathering in existing tobacco blends. If a blend was available before, on, and after this date, it is grandfathered in. For now...

The second date was the cut off for newer blends to continue to be sold without FIRST undergoing the ruinously expensive and vaguely defined FDA deeming process. That date was August 8th of 2016. And blends introduced to the market after that date needed to be FDA approved first. Then there was a third date, for compliance, that was August 8th 2018. That date has been pushed back to August 8th 2021. So the guillotine still exists, but it's date for being released has been moved back.
As for the Brits and the EU, they have their own sets of laws. Smoking is bad for you and it costs your countries billions of dollars every year in medical costs and lost productivity. So the countries are going to stamp it out one way or another.
Except for cigarettes, because those are so good for you.“
Thank you for an excellent summary of the situation that gets to the heart of the matter. With your permission, I’ll pass that on to others verbatim.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Personally I don't think Dunhill blends will go anywhere, They will be here till the end
So Leonard Wortzel from STG Lane which is the US importer of Dunhill pipe tobacco says it's going away. As does the president of General Cigar Co. which makes/distributes Dunhill Cigars.
But yet your opinion is that it's not going anywhere. I'm just curious as to why you think that. I hope someone else purchases the rights to those brands. :puffpipe:
Also if anyone is looking for P&W tobacco's it's now sold by a small shop in Fall River Mass. Here's the link:

https://www.wilkepipetobacco.com/
I'm bummed about Yenidje Highlander and 3 Oaks Syrian going away but luckily I've stocked up well in both.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Offer up a couple of billion USD to the owner of the Dunhill name, not the contractor who makes the items. They might entertain such an offer. Most likely they would snicker at the offer before dropping it in to the waste basket.
The Dunhill marque is valuable, extremely valuable. and they are not going to devalue it for a "handful" of pipe tobacco smokers. They want profits and to protect the Dunhill name. Blends just aren't in their plans.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The way Brian explained this whole Dunhill thing on one of the radio podcasts, it sounds like money is not the issue. I forget who controls the name (Piedmont perhaps) but it sounded pretty bleak when I heard it spelled out.

Mike S.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Dunhill trademark, as it applies to tobacco products, is owned by British American Tobacco (BAT) through its subsidiary company Dunhill Tobacco of London.
BAT will continue to sell cigarettes under the Dunhill marque. My WAG on the discontinuation of the pipe tobacco licensing arrangement with STG is that they weren't getting enough of an ROI to keep it going. They undoubtedly have determined that nobody else is going to pay them a higher royalty than STG does now, and that they are better off investing their resources in other, more prifitable endeavors.
I would be surprised if the BAT brand manager for pipe tobaccos actually smokes a pipe.

Being a fly on the wall as my favorite B&M discussed the realities of becoming a distributor in the US and why Music City... well... we probably won't see anyone picking up distributing the pipes, because they have removed their name from the pipes and are trying to push all of the other products. This might explain why SP hasn't scooped up the White Spots, because they don't want to start having to fill all of the Macy's across the US with Dunhill colognes and belts.
We pretty much got the idea that Dunhill wasn't interested in being involved in pipes as much as the other swag.

Status
Not open for further replies.