PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not talking mere gimmickry, here, but a design aesthetic that went with the times. Like Art Deco, Art Nouveau, and so forth. "Tastefully garish" is how I always thought of it.

Mid-late 1970's into the early '80's, every pipe shop had some examples of "Disco design" in their display cases. I remember the main shop I went to had dozens.

It was mostly the Danes who went for it, though Charatan made a few and Dunhill kind of did with some of their Collectors.

Preben Holm was probably the best known and most widely distributed brand associated with the style.

This one is a legit high grade straight grain sporting the full treatment. (It's huge, btw, almost a giant)

Enjoy :)

P1060676.jpg
P1060677.jpg
P1060678.jpg
P1060679.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Not talking mere gimmickry, here, but a design aesthetic that went with the times. Like Art Deco, Art Nouveau, and so forth. "Tastefully garish" is how I always thought of it.

Mid-late 1970's into the early '80's, every pipe shop had some examples of "Disco design" in their display cases. I remember the main shop I went to had dozens.

It was mostly the Danes who went for it, though Charatan made a few and Dunhill kind of did with some of their Collectors.

Preben Holm was probably the best known and most widely distributed brand associated with the style.

This one is a legit high grade straight grain sporting the full treatment. (It's huge, btw, almost a giant)

Enjoy :)

View attachment 251150
View attachment 251151
View attachment 251152
View attachment 251153
Good example of what I mean when I say the Danish freehands of the 70's all seemed to have great grain. My best grained pipe is a 70's Ben Wade freehand.

Reactions: PaulRVA
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Man oh man, a perfect example of freehand shaping being dictated by grain chasing. The grain and contrast on that are outstanding. I don’t typically go in for freehand pipes especially when they are just freehand for freehands sake. But when they perfectly frame outstanding grain, that’s what the form is all about. Boogie Down!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Quite literally the antithesis of my preferred style of pipe.
I've owned ONE such "Danish freehand", a 60s Stanwell. I think I kept it for a couple months before realizing it wasnt for me. This would have been in 2016.

IMG_7774.jpeg

I love going through my old orders on SPC.
On the same invoice as that Stanwell, I also purchased a humongous Ardor..

Ardor Fantasy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit, I don't see much of a connection of the pipes and the disco culture. Pipes seem a different world from the glitzy nightlife full of kinetic dancers, strobe lights, and stimulants, but since I didn't make that scene, there may have been something I missed.

The pipes, however, are grand and stately, worthy of a renowned professor or a CEO of some kind.