Disaster Struck at Pipestud's Consignment Shop!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn't ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop yesterday afternoon. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland's year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom - a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin top shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby.

Steve
I will dispose of it for you, Steve. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Steve,

Every cloud has a silver lining. Although in this case, you'll have to make with the sliver. Enjoy the very much matured Virginia!

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with a jar of Motzek Strang that I had sealed in 2016. Immediately after I unscrewed the ring, the lid blew off with a loud bang, sailing past my startled face. Fortunately, no damage done, except to a bit of the Strang, which ended up in ashes.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn't ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop yesterday afternoon. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland's year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom - a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin top shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby.

Steve
I'm very glad you survived intact even if the tin did not!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
20_0407_dual_arm_robot_bomb_diffusal_1.png
Or that.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve,

Every cloud has a silver lining. Although in this case, you'll have to make with the sliver. Enjoy the very much matured Virginia!

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with a jar of Motzek Strang that I had sealed in 2016. Immediately after I unscrewed the ring, the lid blew off with a loud bang, sailing past my startled face. Fortunately, no damage done, except to a bit of the Strang, which ended up in ashes.
Thanks for watching my back, Sable!

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Reminds me of my past in the precious metal refining business - clients(mainly hobbyists) would send us all sorts of scrap that was salvaged that contained gold but it also had many other possible toxic and hazardous stuff mixed in - Being the anxiety ridden person I still am today would always be cautious and panicking when opening the packages - gloves, masks - the whole nine yards, and this was years prior to Covid :LOL: mercury!? lead!? arsenic? cadmium? rest assured I'm still here today and it was always in a vented area when smelted:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.