Disaster Struck at Pipestud's Consignment Shop!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn't ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop yesterday afternoon. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland's year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom - a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin top shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_5945.JPG
    IMG_5945.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 157

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Wow - when I saw the title I thought there was a water pipe that busted and ruined everything...glad that was not the case.

The first thing you grabbed was a tissue and not a pipe??
That came second after the good cry. With all that 30-year old Virginia leaf on my desk, the least I could do was scoop up a little, pack a pipe, and set fire to it. Only thing is, I continued to cry... with joy, at the taste that leaf presented.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn't ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop yesterday afternoon. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland's year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom - a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin top shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby.

Steve
my condolences

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’m getting ready to pull the metal cover off of a bulging can of Granger. It’s STG so it can’t be much more than 8-10 years old. I posted about it asking if I should be “concerned”. It’s bulging too and bottom and has a rust ring on the bottom. I found it in a cigar humidor top shelf—old inventory from a deceased tobacconists shop, now a roll your own lottery store.

You’re saying it’s a “good thing” makes me feel better. I’m just finishing up the jar I plan to transfer it too. Very soon!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I’m getting ready to pull the metal cover off of a bulging can of Granger. It’s STG so it can’t be much more than 8-10 years old. I posted about it asking if I should be “concerned”. It’s bulging too and bottom and has a rust ring on the bottom. I found it in a cigar humidor top shelf—old inventory from a deceased tobacconists shop, now a roll your own lottery store.

You’re saying it’s a “good thing” makes me feel better. I’m just finishing up the jar I plan to transfer it too. Very
That tin sounds like a winner, Grangerous! It is much larger than the one I accidentally opened though. So, before opening, I suggest you put on a helmet and Kevlar vest.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That tin sounds like a winner, Grangerous! It is much larger than the one I accidentally opened though. So, before opening, I suggest you put on a helmet and Kevlar vest.
20_0407_dual_arm_robot_bomb_diffusal_1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.