PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
To celebrate receipt of a recent long awaited Esterval's order, which included a 100g tin and a 250g bag of Director's Cut, I have decided to get to know that blend and smoke it exclusively for a month or so. Goals are: 1) to really get to know one blend; 2) test how it smokes in various pipes -- filter vs none, bowl size, new pipe during break in period (a Vauen I also got with the Esterval's order) etc; and 3) then see how it compares to other VA/Pers (I have Elizabethan, Old Gowrie, and Escudo jarred up).

Slight problem I've run into -- I really don't like it. Only 5 bowls in so I've got a ways to go before deciding, but I am really not getting the complexity or any sweetness that I've read about. One bowl -- in a Castello 55 - was surprisingly hot and tasteless and at the end I literally had a rivulet of liquid run into the bowl after emptying it (perhaps partially my fault for not having a pipe cleaner handy to dry out the stem mid smoke). Gave me some bad tongue bite.

Had another bowl this morning after rubbing it out and drying overnight and smoked in a large stanwell filter pipe and it was much better; burned clean to the end, zero relights, no moisture at the end, but still not a ton of flavor (maybe due to the filter?). And I made sure to really just sip it. Did pick up some of the spice from the perique and occasional hints of cocoa. But no sweetness at all.

So I will continue with the "experiment", but I am pretty sure that I am learning that I don't really prefer VA/Pers based on this and prior experience with other blends. Will continue rubbing out and drying before smoking, and smoking slowly, and trying in different pipes. I do sense greater complexity on the tin aroma compared to the other VA/Pers I have.

Maybe this is a blend that really benefits from some age? Will see.

Reactions: lightmybriar

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I too bought too much of it and find it disappointing. I'm just aging it and waiting. Might sell what tins I have remaining.

I've been underwhelmed by everything I've tried from HU. I'll take Watch City blends over them for sure.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Try a tall pipe with narrow chamber. Dublins are really good with VaPers in my experience -- as long as they are sufficiently dry, loosely packed, and the pace of the smoke is slow. I've rarely had VaPers work in one of my 55s.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Well, I am hoping I will like the other HU blends more. Definitely will age the 250g I have jarred for a good long time. I figured I would stock up bc it generally gets glowing reviews and a bit of a process to order it.

I'm no expert, but it did have a bit of a "raw" or "young" taste to it; might have even gotten a whiff of amonia, not sure.

I am also finding that I prefer what I think of as "dark" tobacco tastes rather than "light". That's just my own nomenclature, maybe doesn't make sense, but I think of VAs and Va/Pers as having a lot of "high notes" as compared to English, Scottish and Balkan blends and good mild aros which I think of as generally having "lower" notes. For example, I had a bowl of Pembroke recently and wow, what a fantastic smoke. Maybe a bit too rich for every day, but just so smooth and satisfying. I find Boswell's Northwoods and aros, FMC, Dunhill Durbar, Sunset Harbor Flake, Plum Pudding, etc to be in the same general category. Haven't had too many straight VAs or VA/Pers that I've really enjoyed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It sounds like you're simply not a fan of Va forward blends and your palate may not be developed adequately to appreciate a blend like Directors Cut. Or you simply don't like it, Different horses for different courses. I found some age mellowed out the perique a bit and the DFK was more prevalent.

Reactions: creole and mordy18

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
I find that Director’s Cut improves with age. Still, I prefer Edward G, which I find similar to Director’s Cut but more flavorful. You might want to try Edward G or just stick to what you know you like.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Interested to hear many folks saying that aging greatly improves this blend... interested, but not surprised. That seems to be a theme with VA-forward blends. I tried fresh SG Full VA once and hated every second of it. But, I’ve got 250 grams of it aging away, already with 1 year on it and I have no desire to touch it anytime soon.

I think I have not yet developed the palette for straight VA’s such as these. I have 2 tins of Director’s Cut aging, I think I’ll buy a couple more and let them all sit for at least 5 years!

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I wasn't overly impressed with Directors Cut either. It's a decent smoke but not a favorite. While taste buds are different, and my newness is proclaimed... HU Louisiana Broken was an instant cellar & repurchase for me. Since you had Old Gowrie listed in your initial post I bet you'd really enjoy Louisiana Broken fresh as you let DC age. It has the sweetness of the Virginias without an artificial taste and slight but not overdone spice/pepper of a great Perique and maybe the little KY balances it a bit. I'm not sure what role the KY plays but the blend is a terrific VaPer overall.

I had the above typed out, then reread your post and now I'm getting you may not prefer Old Gowrie and Escudo. I guess I'm in the camp you may not prefer VaPers at this point but still leaving the plug for LB since you expressed interest in further HU ordering.

• Love
Reactions: TheWhale13

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@mordy18 I think I know what the problem is, as I've been on the same boat: you may suffer from unfulfilled expectations with Director's Cut, that was definitely my problem until I calibrated my tastebuds and expectations enough to like it.

Did you expect a VaPer with the added nuance of Kentucky? If yes then you'd be, like me, in for a disappointment. It is not a VaPer as you'd define it mentioning Elizabethan and Escudo, it's just not. It is a Virginia blend first and foremost, with a few twigs of Kentucky and a sweet topping. I get no Perique from it, it must be in minute quantities.

The Kentucky works great with the Virginia and the sweet topping, so in my mouth it is a light, sweet and spicy tobacco, very pleasant. It is not without body either, likely on account of the Burley that's not "heard" at all for me.

All in all, if you forget VaPers like DLNRs, Escudo etc you'll find it is a very tasty blend, just a bit light, I'm like you, it is the dark, strong stuff that gets me excited.

Having said that, I found that I do like it a lot, and do smoke it at least once a week, but it didn't grip me from the first bowl, hence gave it 3 stars when I reviewed it.

Bonus points is that it is one of the few blends that my wife doesn't mind me smoking indoors, she even finds the smell pleasant.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I personally love Directors Cut whether from a fresh tin or aged, it’s delicious! But that’s the thing about pipe smoking, different strokes and all that stuff. I don’t think just aging it will suddenly make you like it but in time your tastes may change significantly... mine certainly did.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Re-reading your original post, why do you need to spend a month smoking just Director's Cut? Won't you be bored senseless? I mean it's like food, or...other activities...doing the same all the time is bound to get boring sooner or later.

I really like Escudo, it was my first VaPer and thoroughly converted me to smoke VaPers about 50% of the time, if you don't like that one maybe you don't like the genre. If you want a REAL perique kick in the guts, I'd suggest C&D Bayou Morning Flake - it's not for everybody but it's great!

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Re-reading your original post, why do you need to spend a month smoking just Director's Cut? Won't you be bored senseless? I mean it's like food, or...other activities...doing the same all the time is bound to get boring sooner or later.

I really like Escudo, it was my first VaPer and thoroughly converted me to smoke VaPers about 50% of the time, if you don't like that one maybe you don't like the genre. If you want a REAL perique kick in the guts, I'd suggest C&D Bayou Morning Flake - it's not for everybody but it's great!
My thought was to get to know one blend and also try to figure out how some of my pipes perform by removing the variables of different tobaccos. I have 30 or 40 blends jarred that i rotate through based on what I feel like smoking which i think makes it hard to develop my pallate. So i thought I’d try an experiment with DC which is so highly rated. I also have 350g of it. But since I’m not really enjoying it i think i will let it age. Smoking a bowl of sutliff walnut match which is great.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My thought was to get to know one blend and also try to figure out how some of my pipes perform by removing the variables of different tobaccos. I have 30 or 40 blends jarred that i rotate through based on what I feel like smoking which i think makes it hard to develop my pallate. So i thought I’d try an experiment with DC which is so highly rated. I also have 350g of it. But since I’m not really enjoying it i think i will let it age. Smoking a bowl of sutliff walnut match which is great.

You like Walnut Match, no surprise you don't like Directors Cut. You apparently like aromatics which is fine. Go with what you enjoy. If you want to sell the DC, I'll buy it from you.

Reactions: BROBS

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
You like Walnut Match, no surprise you don't like Directors Cut. You apparently like aromatics which is fine. Go with what you enjoy. If you want to sell the DC, I'll buy it from you.
Thanks Hoosier. In addition to the 100g tin which i opened and will keep. I have the 250g economy pack just jarred in a brand new 320z ball jar. Wore gloves while doing it. A bit less than 250g bc couldnt quite fit it all. Call it 7 oz. in the jar. No desire to sell but happy to trade it for something of similar quality. I know you have a deep cellar and a lot of experience so PM me with an offer if you want to trade.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks Hoosier. In addition to the 100g tin which i opened and will keep. I have the 250g economy pack just jarred in a brand new 320z ball jar. Wore gloves while doing it. A bit less than 250g bc couldnt quite fit it all. Call it 7 oz. in the jar. No desire to sell but happy to trade it for something of similar quality. I know you have a deep cellar and a lot of experience so PM me with an offer if you want to trade.

I have no idea what you're looking for. Give me some ideas and I'll be happy to propose something.

Status
Not open for further replies.