PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since it is a diorama figure, my guess is that there is nothing in the pipe. However, British soldiers at the time probably smoked some iteration of Virginia leaf. England was a big investor in Virginia tobacco, and one of George Washington's grievances against the English was that he was being low-balled on the tobacco prices from his Mt. Vernon and adjoining properties. So maybe it was Sutliff Red Virginia, or its ancient ancestor.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Very interesting. Pleasure to meet you, Halfdan. Your cadence with the pipe would wreck me, but you keep that clay going well. Are they true antique clays?
@gamzultovah Not sure but most are replicas; I've had some old ones but a shame to smoke them and break them. I had one from the 1890s-1930s and it got broken:-(

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Yesterday we went for a day trip to Lake George. One of the places we visited is Fort William Henry- It is a replica of a British fort from the 18th century, which was a strategically important point of control between New York and New France.
As with most of my day trips, I did not get an opportunity to smoke a pipe or a cigar, but did take a photo with a British soldier smoking a clay in the barracks.

View attachment 101818View attachment 101819
@cshubhra Did you have a look at my pipe videos???

Reactions: cshubhra

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

You puffin like a train mate, choo choo, need to slow down! LOL ?

I’d pass out from nicotine overdose if I smoked like that. LOL ?

Never heard of that car either...

Only smoke the pipe for show? Smoking a clay pipe and a pouch of tobacco to expensive in England?

What’s the cheapest cost for a pouch of tobacco?

Last edited:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
You puffin like a train mate, choo choo, need to slow down! LOL ?

I’d pass out from nicotine overdose if I smoked like that. LOL ?

Never heard of that car either...

Only smoke the pipe for show? Smoking a clay pipe and a pouch of tobacco to expensive in England?

What’s the cheapest cost for a pouch of tobacco?
I was smoking a bit fast as I wasn't used to smoking the pipe then...
About £17 for a packet of Condor or Clan; @Birddog66 says it's cheaper to buy from smokingpipes.com in the USA - they have some nice clays:)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was smoking a bit fast as I wasn't used to smoking the pipe then...
About £17 for a packet of Condor or Clan; @Birddog66 says it's cheaper to buy from smokingpipes.com in the USA - they have some nice clays:)
Ouch, that would be only 5-6 pounds in the USA. You need some sort of overseas online place to purchase, not the UK.

Maybe Synjeco in Switzerland?

Or Estervals in Germany?

Or Dan in Germany?

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Shocking that you met someone younger than you smoking a pipe. You look fairly young in your avatar.
@gamzultovah I've been into Chesterfield today and met James again (that's his name); he said his grandad smoked a pipe and he smokes his grandad's old Falcon. I liked the smell of his Clan and he gave me a bit to smoke in my clay.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
@gamzultovah Yes it was; one of the Highlanders I met at the Bonnie Prince Charlie event near Derby was smoking Clan in his clay pipe. I think the tartan packet went with his outfit even though it was modern - this was before tobacco packaging got plastered with health warnings!
Government ruins just about everything. You will have to start a thread with your reenactments when they start up again.