PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Same here. I just figured relighting every few minutes was an unwanted but necessary price to pay for the rest of the sublime experience.

Also I have an unsubstantiated belief that Latakia blends lose something special if they get too dry so I tend to be over cautious when drying them.
And I don't really find that it has to be dried - it doesn't seem that wet. It's maybe more me having to cut it up finer with less chunks to keep it lit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tmcg81

Lifer
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've had the same problem with gaslight. I've never had a positive experience smoking it. I normally don't let a bunch of relights get me down, but I was getting one puff per light. I would slice it thin and rub it out. I don't remember it being super moist out of the tin, but I'll have to give it another shot after some dry time.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've had the same problem with gaslight. I've never had a positive experience smoking it. I normally don't let a bunch of relights get me down, but I was getting one puff per light. I would slice it thin and rub it out. I don't remember it being super moist out of the tin, but I'll have to give it another shot after some dry time.
I have about 3/4 of one "muffin" left. I'll keep playing with it - tight pack - loose pack, drying...
I find it pretty close in taste to Ten Russians - but Russians had just a bit more tongue destroying power. But the ease of handling?! Can't be compared.

Reactions: tmcg81
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
All good advice above.

If a blend causes me trouble, I pack it away and grab another tin. There are so many good blends that work well for me that I have no patience to do some 12 step process involving a deli slicer. Maybe in 5-10 years I will think otherwise and it will be there waiting.

That is me, but I realize some people love the process of preparing and conquering a tobacco.

Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I just pulled out the Ten Russians again to give it a go - since it's pretty close to Gaslight. It's a Krumble Kake - loads easily and sipped it didn't burn my tongue out like last time. For people who've smoked Gaslight - any other blends the come close?

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
All good advice above.

If a blend causes me trouble, I pack it away and grab another tin. There are so many good blends that work well for me that I have no patience to do some 12 step process involving a deli slicer. Maybe in 5-10 years I will think otherwise and it will be there waiting.

That is me, but I realize some people love the process of preparing and conquering a tobacco.
Not necessarily wrong - I enjoy it - but lighting every few puffs can be annoying. I still have some to play with so, we'll see what can be done.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Not necessarily wrong - I enjoy it - but lighting every few puffs can be annoying. I still have some to play with so, we'll see what can be done.
I'd be curious to see what kind of experience you have after drying. I'm willing to wager you'll get a better burn and a more pronounced flavor. Drying tobacco was the single greatest piece of advice I received as a new smoker.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only part of that I disagree with is checking in 10 or 15 mins. I wouldn't even bother checking for at least a few hours.
All depends on the ambient humidity of where the tobacco is put to dry. Ariz ona with sun out: 10-15 seconds. Alabama in July: check it at Christmas! Some hyperbole there, but the point is made.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
You guys are miracle workers! Dried it out - cut it up and ripped it up into small pieces and then left it on the cutting board for maybe 1 1/2. Packed it - a bit tighter than planed, but still not too tight. Once it was lit, it burned down almost to the bottom of the bowl with almost no relights! Amazing! Thanks for the get suggestions!20230825_152038.jpg