PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Ok, I know there are 1,001 threads discussing the various attributes of vulcanite and/or/vs acrylic stems - that's what makes it difficult to find the basic information I'm looking for, so please forgive another post asking this question.

What is the most advisable way to go through my pipes and discern which stem is vulcanite and which is acrylic? I know the acrylic is harder and the vulcanite oxidizes, but without giving each a bite test or waiting for oxidation to appear, is there a simple (and advisable - I know some of of you well enough by now, someone will tell me to saw them in half or something, lol) way to distinguish my stems?

Is there a known thread already discussing this that someone could point me to in lieu of this becoming a duplicate and superfluous post?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
And I loathe the 'cheap' tacky feel of acrylic in my mouth. I emailed Petersons about my 315, about the acrylic bit, but they, as usual, didn't reply.

• Angry
Reactions: TheWhale13

dr_sittles

Lurker
May 20, 2020
One of the easiest methods is shining a light through the bottom of the stem near the lip button, and if light is visible then it's acrylic. Also to be sure, you can rub your thumb back and forth on the stem a few times (like you're trying to get a scuff out) and if you smell a faint rubber smell on the stem then it's vulcanite. I'm sure there are other ways, but those are the easiest and quickest ways I've found to be helpful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you've been around pipes a while, you just know this visually. Acrylic (lucite, etc.) is just shinier and has a different ring when you tap it. With use, Vulcanite shows more wear at the bit, oxidation unless it's just been polished. The light test and the sniff test are dependable. It should be noted, some of the younger folks who list pipes online for the big retailers don't know the difference, so you can order a pipe with a Vulcanite stem and get one with an acrylic stem. I always like Vulcanite, but I do like the less demanding maintenance of the acrylic stems if the pipe isn't too heavy.

This stuff interests me, because I always find it odd when someone can't tell copper from bronze, sterling from nickel, or diamonds from CZs. Whereas, someone who has worked with the materials for years just sees color of these things, so many just see sparkly same same.
Vulcanite doesn't get as shiny as acrylic, which doesn't take on a quality shine, more of a cheap shine, if that makes sense. Also, acrylic isn't as bendy feeling, tensile strength, acrylic also has a pingy sound when tapped, and vulcanite is rubber. To me, they are as different as night and day, one is soft and the other is hard.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Supposedly vulcanite is softer and therefore it is a little easier on your teeth. Acrylic is a little harder. People that don't mind the hardness of acrylic seem to gravitate toward acrylic stems. If you do object to the acrylic then you have the vulcanite. I prefer the acrylic but most pipe makers prefer to use vulcanite. You don't have to chomp on them to spot the difference. As soon as you put it in your mouth the hardness of acrylic or softness of vulcanite can readily be detected. Pipemakers will usually tell you up front what material is being used.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I had no idea until I read it on here there was concern with cleaning acrylic with alcohol and maybe it's vulcanite or lucite or both (can't remember, lol) that doesn't get along with water, at least in some fashion?

I'd read, "give that pipe and stem a good alcohol cleaning" and think that was gospel, and then at some point found that cleaning acrylic with alcohol is a no-no.

So a lot of good reasons to know which is which and lots of good info on here as to how it could be important to know.

I gravitate towards the non-acrylic but I have a couple pipes I love that come with acrylic stems and they are fine by me, but yes, have a little different feel, but since I don't really "clench" or put my teeth on them much, I don't really notice when I'm using them.

Reactions: Egg Shen

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And I loathe the 'cheap' tacky feel of acrylic in my mouth. I emailed Petersons about my 315, about the acrylic bit, but they, as usual, didn't reply.
I've not had occasion to e-mail since they became an American company. But, always had prompt, 48 hours, replies to my inquiries prior to that.

Why would you buy a pipe with such a bit if you think they feel cheap and tacky? Just curious. And, why complain to Peterson? Jockeying for a free replacement? rotf

maybe it's vulcanite or lucite or both (can't remember, lol) that doesn't get along with water, at least in some fashion?
There is only one person who says over and over that water hurts vulcanite, which is rubber. Rubber and vulcanite are used in a myriad of water parts, like hoses, gaskets, tubes, etc... so, although I really like the person who says this on this forum, I do not agree with them. FWIW

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
This sort of reminds me of story a professor told back in a Philosophy of Science class back in grad school...about sexing chickens - that is, dividing a group of chickens into two groups; male and female. The farmer couldn't say how he could tell, he could just tell. And by watching the farmer divide up a bunch of them the new person was able to join in and correctly divide them as well. Once shown the difference, a difference was perceived. But there was still no obvious distinction that could be explained.

This isn't exactly the same, I get that, but it does sound like I would benefit from being in a Iwan Ries type shop and have someone who knows show a bunch of each and then I'd get it.

Are Savinelli Series III pipes always vulcanite?
Are cheaper pipes vulcanite, and pricier pipes acrylic?

Two, and it's steam from hot water, not just water.
There is someone besides you? I was purposefully avoiding saying your name. ;)
My coffee maker uses vulcanite fittings to deliver the hot water. And, hot water is how I flush vulcanite rubber in casting moldmaking. I've just never had the experience of hot water causing oxidation on my stems or anything made of rubber. I just assume anomalies happen with you, and I can't explain them, so I don't argue it. But...

Reactions: buckaroo and warren
Are Savinelli Series III pipes always vulcanite?
Are cheaper pipes vulcanite, and pricier pipes acrylic?
Funny... when we all will agree that most Italian pipemakers are using acrylic now, some bozo will post about a line of pipes that are made of vulcanite. "Most" Italian pipes are made with acrylic, but which one specifically made by Savinelli, I can't attest to.
Cheaper or pricier... acrylic is the easiest material to cast into a stem, so your cheap factory pipes usually use acrylic, but so do the more expensive factory pipes. Pipemakers prefer to use vulcanite, usually. Notice how I am differentiating factory from pipemakers, this is key, because a guy making pipes in his own workshop who is cutting handmade stems is not going to prefer to work with acrylic, because it cuts and turns like a bitch. Whereas vulcanite cuts like butter on a lathe.

So, someone who prefers handmade artisan made pipes has a better options of getting vulcanite. But, there are variances in all of these categories. Mark Tinsky uses acrylic cast stems, so not all pipemaker prefer to even hand make the stems.

Reactions: odobenus

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Funny... when we all will agree that most Italian pipemakers are using acrylic now, some bozo will post about a line of pipes that are made of vulcanite. "Most" Italian pipes are made with acrylic, but which one specifically made by Savinelli, I can't attest to.
Cheaper or pricier... acrylic is the easiest material to cast into a stem, so your cheap factory pipes usually use acrylic, but so do the more expensive factory pipes. Pipemakers prefer to use vulcanite, usually. Notice how I am differentiating factory from pipemakers, this is key, because a guy making pipes in his own workshop who is cutting handmade stems is not going to prefer to work with acrylic, because it cuts and turns like a bitch. Whereas vulcanite cuts like butter on a lathe.

So, someone who prefers handmade artisan made pipes has a better options of getting vulcanite. But, there are variances in all of these categories. Mark Tinsky uses acrylic cast stems, so not all pipemaker prefer to even hand make the stems.
Sorry, I missed where we all agreed on that. Am I a "bozo" for asking about something that's already been answered (somewhere) or because I have a counterexample?

Sorry, I missed where we all agreed on that. Am I a "bozo" for asking about something that's already been answered (somewhere) or because I have a counterexample?
No, I am afraid that I wasn't clear. I, in no way, meant to insinuate that you were the bozo doing that. What I meant was that when we use the term, "Most Italian pipe makers...." someone will always counter with someone who doesn't do whatever... which is why we use the term "most" and never "all". A bozo being someone who is always looking to contradict. You were in no way doing that.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Sorry I brought that up, lol, but I really couldn't remember.

At least I learned last week not to suggest whiskey/whisky and soda (but hey, I didn't ask whether it could go in a pipe)!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Rubber and vulcanite are used in a myriad of water parts, like hoses, gaskets, tubes, etc...
Also automobile tires.

I think water, especially hot water, makes the tarnish easier to see, but I don't think it creates the tarnish, at least not instantaneously there and then.
Also to be sure, you can rub your thumb back and forth on the stem a few times (like you're trying to get a scuff out) and if you smell a faint rubber smell on the stem then it's vulcanite.
I've only been fooled by this method once, on a J.T. Cooke replacement stem. He must have used some high quality stuff. But the stem eventually tarnished on while on display top of my China hutch, so I knew then that it is vulcanite. I did the rub test again and smelled the sulfur faintly the second time.