PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. I also through search find this question so here goes. Do you have different pipes for different tobaccos, or do you use the same pipe for all tobaccos? I know some have dedicated pipes to just one blend or type, such as aromatics or English. It seems others don't. Personally, I have my favorite pipes that I smoke all my blends in. I might not get a pure taste from the tobaccos and if the pipe is ghosted it will impart a taste from another but to me that just adds to the experience.
So, what do you guys do?.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I separate my blends into three categories: aromatics, latakia blends, and everything else. I have two pipes dedicated for each category, one with a large bowl, and one with a small bowl. It wasn't my intention to do this initially, but it just kind of worked out that way, and I'm pretty happy with it. I also have the same small bowl/large bowl system for cobs, in which I will basically smoke whatever. The cobs are almost exclusively for walks in the forest, or doing horse-related stuff at the barn.

It's a pretty basic system, but it works for me.

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
I agree with you about ghosted pipes adding to the experience, at least occasionally. I have around twenty pipes: a couple for aromatics, a couple specifically for lakelands, and the rest are split somewhat evenly between ‘latakia’ and ‘no latakia.’ Every pipe I own, though, is fair game for VA, perique, oriental, and/or burley, should I take the notion.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my pipes are dedicated to either a genre or a specific blend. Some old timer told me to do this and I have always followed his advice. I have found that I don't enjoy say a Mac Baren Old Dark Fired in Vaper pipe. I experimented and finally found the perfect pipe which was a Rad Davis Zulu. I have no idea why that combo was magical, so I didn't question it and it has been dedicate for around a decade.
I also have 4 genres. Virginia Flake, Virginia/Perique flakes, Virginia/Kentucky 's an 2 aromatics for when people come over. My cellar is not that wide as I know what I like and have nothing in my cellar that I would not enjoy to smoking. It took time and a lot of samples before a blend would make the cut into my cellar.

For me having an average blend in my cellar would be lie owning pipes that were just average smokers. I wanted every pipe in my collection to be a great smoker. Finding out what you really love is difficult especially when your tastes change . I smoke flakes all the time and learned what type of pipes smoke my flakes the best. Pipe smoking is a journey and it takes time to figure out what pipes and tobacco work best for you.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I haven't noticed any ghosting issues so far, so I haven't tended to dedicate according to tobacco blend. I DO tend to use certain pipes for flake tobacco though. Not necessarily because of taste factor, but more because I find certain pipes easier for me to fold and stuff as well as being pipes that seem to smoke better with flake.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
I smoke for two reasons, nicotine and oral fixation. Blends and dedicating pipes to them? An entirely personal choice.
Those are my main reasons for smoking as well. Besides the fact I don't have that many pipes, when I'm ready for a bowl, I don't really have time to figure out what pipe goes with what tobacco. I just want to fill and smoke a pipe. I appreciate those who do have separate pipes, As Warren said it's personal choice.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
This is entirely personal choice and I suspect that as you smoke more, your philosophy on pipe/blend dedication will change with your tastes. I smoke my go-to, daily burleys in my briars, virginias in my cobs, and both in my one meerschaum. Why? To me, I find that virginias are more finicky than burleys so they smoke easier in cobs and meerschaums. I smoke burleys in my briars because a lot of the time I’m smoking burley, specifically sir Walter raleigh. I like the flavor that briar imparts to that specific blend, I like how easy the blend is to work with, and I like how durable briar is. When I leave the house I almost always bring a briar with my tobacco pouch filled with sir Walter Raleigh regular. I can’t say with certainty that this is how I’ll always do it, but for now, this is how I do it. Your mileage most certainly will vary.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
This is entirely personal choice and I suspect that as you smoke more, your philosophy on pipe/blend dedication will change with your tastes. I smoke my go-to, daily burleys in my briars, virginias in my cobs, and both in my one meerschaum. Why? To me, I find that virginias are more finicky than burleys so they smoke easier in cobs and meerschaums. I smoke burleys in my briars because a lot of the time I’m smoking burley, specifically sir Walter raleigh. I like the flavor that briar imparts to that specific blend, I like how easy the blend is to work with, and I like how durable briar is. When I leave the house I almost always bring a briar with my tobacco pouch filled with sir Walter Raleigh regular. I can’t say with certainty that this is how I’ll always do it, but for now, this is how I do it. Your mileage most certainly will vary.
I also forgot to say that I smoke burleys in my meer along with the virginias. I smoke everytning in my meer. I don’t smoke any aromatics or English blends in any of my pipes except for SWRA that I smoke in a cob. After reading this thread I tried a bowl of marlin flake in one of my Kaywoodie apples that I’ve exclusively smoked burleys in. It wasn’t too bad at all. I think that maybe since I smoke virginia and burley based blends and no aromatics/Latakia blends pipe dedication isn’t a big deal for me but I’ve just always done it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. I also through search find this question so here goes. Do you have different pipes for different tobaccos, or do you use the same pipe for all tobaccos? << Snipped bits out >>
Not only correct forum, but correct thread! You've set the bar high for newcomers!

I have done some distinguishing but now too lazy, and I smoke mostly lat blends. Not worried about Virginias ghosting my pipes, and I don't do aromatics.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Other people have already said it, but I generally do pipes for aromatics (primarily cobs), Latakia blends, and then all the other blends. I do have some cheaper pipes which I got lazy with in the beginning and now I will smoke anything out of them. The everything pipes definitely seem more muted when it comes to taste though.

MtnGeo

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 29, 2021
Loveland, CO
I started this journey just over 2 years. Initially the Aeros are was the reason I started smoking a pipe and imagery of a man smoking a pipe. I’m 60 so when I was growing up it was only men. I was like a kid in a candy store buying too much areos. I’ve been on these forums that opened my eyes to other possibilities. I bought a 7oz can of Granger and love it. I hadn’t considered using a dedicated pipe. My pallet is not that refined at least not yet. Love reading about everyone’s experiences.