PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, but in my experience a clay pipe makes the tobacco flavors "brighter" and a briar makes them "warmer." By "brighter" I mean the flavors are more separate and more forward. By "warmer" I mean smoother and more mixed. This is of course very subjective and YMMV. I wonder if meerschaums would be similar. It's also possible that as my palate develops perceptions could change.
I think we're saying the same thing. But perhaps as newer smokers that's just a phase we'll go through. Don't know but seems similar. At least my palate isn't totally weird.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I also hate the fact that meers turn a shit brown after so much use. I happen to like a nice white meer, not one that looks like I took a dump on it.
Ok. I guess I've read that many actually like it for the very reason they can watch it season and change. I bought a "naked" unfinished briar for the same reason and it's going through changes. Also helps me see more quickly where my mistakes are on lighting as the rim shows abuse very quickly. I'm using that for feedback and improvement.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I own one African Meer that I smoke only occasionally. The difference is minimal. But I attribute that to the fact that I run my briars without cake. I like a rinsed, clean, fresh pipe.

I’ll suppose that a ghosted or dedicated, well smoked briar would taste different when compared to a clean meer (no cake).

Now a Cob…..
My briars are relatively all clean and kept with minimal cake so far. And I just started smoking a few from a cob and I'm really impressed.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I love my cobs. It’s said that on a scale of 1 to 10 that a Cob can be counted on to deliver a 7 smoke.

That’s not as good as your prized Briar but phenomenal considering the cost.
I'm enjoying seeing how the cob performs. So far it's quite nice. I wonder if it imparts sweetness?

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I'm enjoying seeing how the cob performs. So far it's quite nice. I wonder if it imparts sweetness?
I personally prefer cobs. I like the way they smoke. Cool and consistent. I don't find that they impart any sweetness. However, the flavors from any blend seem more pronounced in a cob, in a good way.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There's nothing wrong with cobs. Let me say that again: there's nothing wrong with cobs. But to my sensibility, according to how how I view them, there are several things wrong, and I just don't like them, mostly due to the fact that they can't be finished or shaped, and instead of looking at the warmth of wood, one looks at a series of gouges. Sorry, but that's God-awful.

I was looking at an Adam Davidson smooth bent billiard in a deep brown. I don't particularly like brown, but I found myself really enjoying it's lush richness. A cob is never going to have wood so finished.

And you're never going to see a cob blowfish, as in SP's American estates by Todd Johnson, every facet impeccably showcasing another facet of grain.

So if I choose to smoke a cob, the only thing left to admire is its abject simplicity, but if I do, "I'm going to end up thinking "why didn't I smoke a briar?" because or me simplicity is not enough.

But I know for many of you it is, so I'll shut up now and let you go back to smoking them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A key difference between meers and briars became apparent to me the first and last time i dropped the first and last meer I owned.
What surface did you drop it on? I've had them hit gravel, linoleum, all sorts of surfaces except stone tile and maybe a gouge but, never a broken pipe. I do not smoke my heavily carved meers out of doors though, just smooth and maybe my "egg in hand". Now, I have broken a stem or two on dropped briars.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
There's nothing wrong with cobs. Let me say that again: there's nothing wrong with cobs. But to my sensibility, according to how how I view them, there are several things wrong, and I just don't like them, mostly due to the fact that they can't be finished or shaped, and instead of looking at the warmth of wood, one looks at a series of gouges. Sorry, but that's God-awful.

I was looking at an Adam Davidson smooth bent billiard in a deep brown. I don't particularly like brown, but I found myself really enjoying it's lush richness. A cob is never going to have wood so finished.

And you're never going to see a cob blowfish, as in SP's American estates by Todd Johnson, every facet impeccably showcasing another facet of grain.

So if I choose to smoke a cob, the only thing left to admire is its abject simplicity, but if I do, "I'm going to end up thinking "why didn't I smoke a briar?" because or me simplicity is not enough.

But I know for many of you it is, so I'll shut up now and let you go back to smoking them.
And this makes perfect sense. I think most people on here would agree with you. However, some of us view a pipe as simply a tool to smoke our tobacco in. The tobacco is more important to me than the pipe. And the way a pipe smokes means more to me than it's artistic qualities.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Man! There's a lot of hate for meerschaums around here.
My first meerschaum was a Christmas gift in 1984 and I still own it and smoke it once or twice a month. It's been dropped, stuck in a cluttered desk, banged on said desk. It's scratched and has a gouge or two. The color hasn't gone shit brown, but has attained a light creamy caramel color in some areas.

Five out of my eight meers get smoked regularly. The other three are more eye candy. I find that a well maintained meerschaum does give me a more defined sense of the tobacco I'm smoking. I'm able to pick out the flavors a little more. That's just me and my palate though.

That being said, when I try a new blend I reach for a clay pipe first, followed by a meerschaum, a cob and then a briar. I know it's heresy, but I don't dedicate any of my briars to only one type of blend.

Reactions: Briar Lee and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I fully understand your sentiment regarding the beauty of wood. I certainly enjoy looking at the beautiful intricacies of grain far better than stubs of corn fiber. My fascination with the cob is the difference in smoking features. That is naturallyi a part of my exploration in this hobby. But of course most prefer briar due to the functional art aspect of them. And after all, I think it would be quite unique for PAD to apply to cobs. But I could be wrong. cray

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I fully understand your sentiment regarding the beauty of wood. I certainly enjoy looking at the beautiful intricacies of grain far better than stubs of corn fiber. My fascination with the cob is the difference in smoking features. That is naturallyi a part of my exploration in this hobby. But of course most prefer briar due to the functional art aspect of them. And after all, I think it would be quite unique for PAD to apply to cobs. But I could be wrong. cray
PAD can definitely happen with cobs. I have some experience in this. LOL In this hobby, PAD and TAD can strike without warning, regardless of your taste in pipes or tobacco.

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee and FLDRD

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I wonder a bit, the meer I broke was soft enough to scratch with my fingernail if i wanted to, is this normal? I like how they look and always read good things about how they smoke, but the idea of spending money on a piece that can shatter like a glass is off putting.

Reactions: Briar Lee