PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Hi,

I know about most varietals and their differences but I know that I don't like Red VAs (like in GLP Stratford), but I do like Dark VAs (like in SG Best Brown, Rattrays Marlin). So what is different about them?

Thanks

Reactions: Warlee and Scottmi

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Reds are picked, stored, and fermented. The dark stuff gets hot pressed or stoved.

Depends on the way you like your tobacco. The Red tends to be a little brighter in color and a little sharper and sweeter to the palate. The dark tends to be darker (can you imagine that) and the sweetness a little more subdued. Both can be very enjoyable but there's a reason behind both of these.

heddle22

Lurker
Sep 6, 2024
I enjoy the red - definitely much sweeter than black. Old school guys like my buddies usually enjoy the black - but I am a "cool" old school guy - I go Red (like my wine!)

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Hi,

I know about most varietals and their differences but I know that I don't like Red VAs (like in GLP Stratford), but I do like Dark VAs (like in SG Best Brown, Rattrays Marlin). So what is different about them?

Thanks
I’m fairly new to piping so I could be way wrong here and I welcome the correction but I think you might be referring to parts of the tobacco plant.
There are different colors of Virginia tobacco that come from different parts of the plant and I believe they get harvested at different times too.
So, “dark Virginia” could be stoved or treated in some other way but originally it might have been bright Virginia which comes from a different part of the plant than red Virginia. Or, it could be red Virginian or Orange Virginia and so forth.

TL;DR
Virginia color comes from different parts of the plant and also the way it’s treated after it’s harvested regardless of which part of the plant it came from.

Reactions: heddle22
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Red Va's have a reddish color tone, Dark Virginias have a darker tone. You asked.

On a more serious note, I like both as well as lighter, brighter Virginias. If compare red to dark kind of similar to a cinnamon candy to mollasses or syrup. Reds seem sweeter and spicier but not quite as full bodied as dark Virginias. For whatever it's worth, I find lighter gold or yellow Virginias more citrus tasting, perhaps even a bit tart.

I would also propose you expand your sampling of red Virginias past the one blend.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Is red more condimental than bright or dark or is that simply my limited experience?
Your limited experience. Find A McClelland Red Virginia to try, nothing condiment about it. Even C&D Red virginia, but a tin of their yearly Red virginia Flake. I think a problem is finding high quality Red virginia leaf these days. Lack thereof was a contributing factor to McClelland closing shop.

Reactions: BingBong