PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
In the midst of a move I erroneously put part of my tobacco cellar, comprising my most prized tins, inside of a non temperature controlled storage unit for 5 weeks. I've recovered the box and all of the tins labels are slightly warped, indicating a high temperature inside the unit. The ambient high temps were in the low 80s to low 70s during that time.

Is my cellar ruined?

Reactions: sablebrush52

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
No. Low 80s for however long won’t hurt your sealed tins. Warped Labels???
Should probably just post a picture but it appears the adhesive melted and the labels detached slightly. Every label has little bubbles and that c&d type tins I can just pull the labels off the tin.

ambient temps were only low 80s but im assuming it was much hotter inside the actual unit.

Probably overthinking it…

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
They're DEAD! DEAD I tell you! DEAD!

Send them all to me and I'll dispose of them properly.
I was wondering who'd be the first one to say something to that effect! Thought it'd be cosmic, but you were my second guess, Jesse. Next time, I'll try to have a little more faith in the forum's SoCal representation. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you ever sell any of those tins, you need to disclose the high and low temps and the humidity. I honestly would never buy a tin that went through those conditions. The chances of mold are high.
I keep my tobacco at 73-74 degrees at all times and I have a whole house dehumidifier.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've had mine in a non-temperature controlled storage unit since May. I won't get them out for another couple months. Mostly tins, but about two dozen jars. I'm not worried. You'll probably be fine.

Of course, I've been known to heat age tins and jars on the dashboard of my pickup. So, take that for what it's worth. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr