PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
I found English pipers that are more famous and have their smoking habits known such as Bertrand Russell, Tolkien, C.S.Lewis etc. smoked predominantly or exclusively straight VA or VA blends, none smoked lat bombs.

So just out of curiosity, how prevalent were English blends really among English smokers in the 20th century? Any English old timers around to shed some light?

Jun 25, 2021
England
I found English pipers that are more famous and have their smoking habits known such as Bertrand Russell, Tolkien, C.S.Lewis etc. smoked predominantly or exclusively straight VA or VA blends, none smoked lat bombs.

So just out of curiosity, how prevalent were English blends really among English smokers in the 20th century? Any English old timers around to shed some light?
I'm an English old timer, but don't smoke English blends.
I can't stand latakia.
I smoke mostly straight Virginia, so no light shed on the matter from this quarter.
I only know that English blends have been around a lot longer than I have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man that's always painful to read. Like scratching a chalkboard with another chalkboard.

So just out of curiosity, how prevalent were English blends really among English smokers in the 20th century?
Very.

Latakia and English tobacco aren't always mutually inclusive.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Man that's always painful to read. Like scratching a chalkboard with another chalkboard.

Very.

Latakia and English tobacco aren't always mutually inclusive.

Good read chasingembers! thanks for posting...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
But then there is the slippery term "an English", meaning simply that the blend contains latakia, which doesn't define the amount of oriental, which may mean that the blend has a small or non-existent amount of oriental; whereas if it has the oriental, it is termed a Balkan. So if you use it in the former sense, you have to qualify it with the percent of oriental.

When I used it it made me feel. sophisticated, but having to qualify made it cumbersome.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Interesting clarification. In the end, everything revolves around marketing and the survival of a product. You make up a story and you are number one in sales.
The stories we tell ourselves are much more damaging than other stories, but the money spent to spin out a story/an angle, if you will, and by this to position and thus place a product in the marketplace are so very powerful. Through the imagination, which is irrational, they associate to what we value. Bingo. Sales. What matters as much as a story is how often it is told. So in the course of an hour the same commercial can play multiple times. Tell the story and then cement it in place.

Reactions: PipeIT and JOHN72
. So in the course of an hour the same commercial can play multiple times.
There is one way to always avoid commercials, only watch things that you pay for. When we look for cheap, like this free forum here, the exchange for free forum is commercials and marketing. The exchange for free movies and video entertainment is commercials and marketing. Just how it works.

That being said, Marketing is as old as human beings. "My grandma makes the best... cakes." It is said enough times that the whole family associates "best cakes" with Grandma, even if her cakes are hard as rocks and taste like ass. That will be one toothless family with bad breath, but "Grandma's cakes... "

But, it's interesting that English get associated with a leaf from Greece and a country next to Lebanon. The term Mediterranean Tobacco would probably be a better fit, but... the power of an empire.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The stories we tell ourselves are much more damaging than other stories, but the money spent to spin out a story/an angle, if you will, and by this to position and thus place a product in the marketplace are so very powerful. Through the imagination, which is irrational, they associate to what we value. Bingo. Sales. What matters as much as a story is how often it is told. So in the course of an hour the same commercial can play multiple times. Tell the story and then cement it in place.
For example sugary products for human consumption. In Spain we have a well-known product. With the wonderful advertisement for children and elite athletes. Since 1945, With 75% sugar and the rest of flours and absurd percentage of cocoa...................

Reactions: PipeIT

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Candy. They still advertise candy, but you have to wonder why when, in this case, the sugar and chocolate sells itself.

At my ripe age I have discovered an abiding passion for Gummi Bears. Two and three 28 oz or double that a week. Probably 75% sugar. If I enter a grocery store there's a good chance that I will exit with a package.

And this without advertising:):). You could say that since I can't smoke I eat Gummis. I have no doubt that I could put them down if I could smoke, a major gratification containing the smaller.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
From what I can gather, it's more of an American made term which would make Lakelands the more accurate English tobacco.
Yes, I've always thought of it as an 'Americanism'. St. Bruno & Condor were the biggest sellers in the UK over the last hundred years or so. Neither of them I'd call a 'Lakeland' though as that's another Americanism as well.