PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
on Discovery the last 3 nights? I loved how Meeker had a corn cob pipe in his mouth the entire series. Apart from lighting hit, I don't think I ever saw him take a puff on it. He just let it smolder the whole time.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I watched the mini-series, yes. I actually was very impressed by it. The last half hour of "Part 3" was an emotional roller coaster. I don't watch too much TV, so I'm not sure if most people thought it was actually a quality series. It kept me enthralled and I quite enjoyed it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I'll probably get around to it this weekend.

Great show, made by the same people who made Game of Throne from HBO. We've had a few other strings on this series. Good stuff.
As for the smoldering pipe, that is how I've always seen and been taught that a pipe is used. I don't think I've ever seen a person who is really smoking a pipe take a "puff" unless they were lighting it, of just had no idea what they were doing.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm with Fitzy. It's on the DVR but won't get watched for a week or so.
The trailers looked great and I'm a sucker for anything Ridley Scott is involved with.
Fnord

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Watched the 1st and 2nd show and my ear caught Cajun music in some scenes, maybe some of my cousins got the gold itch, the Bartender who played in Oh Brother where Art Thou has one of my favorite voices, I could here him talk all day. Enjoyed what I've seen so far.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I caught the last episode...decided to take a look as I have a huge interest in the Klondike gold rush. As some one who ran a outdoors blog for many years I found some very funny to me things.
-The backpack used by the main Gent "Bill Haskell" is in fact a Swiss army Salt and pepper backpack from the 1950's up into possibly the 70's, not even close to the 1896.
-Alot of their clothes are modern day Filson Clothing, readily available today. Filson did in fact sell a lot of gear and blankets to the prospectors...none of the coats on the show were available though.
-I even saw some Stormy Kromer hats, which are my main winter cap. Again not started till 1903, well later.
I am avid wearer and collector of Vintage work wear, so most of these items are in my wardrobe, interesting to see them used for a period outside of their range!

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
As an Old Time banjo picker and gold prospector, I enjoyed it immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.