PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'd guess its a Missouri Meerschuam. A Google Image search for "diamond shank corn cob" pulls a few up.

DON'T soak the stem in alcohol. I've done that overnight with a yellow plastic MM stem and it turned into a soft gooey mess.

Reactions: RalphiesDad

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think that stem is Brylon. The Brylon patent is held by Medico which is currently owned by Kaywoodie as a sub-brand, and it's some kind of resin composite used to make the bowls, not the stems, and is out of production. It was heavy and burned hot. However, a few Forums members liked it because of its durability in rough and dirty work situations, since the pipes were indestructible and could be washed with a dish brush. For about 40 years, Brylon pipes held on, very low priced and often scorned, but they were finally discontinued about ten years ago. That pipe is probably an MM cob, or a knock-off, and the stem is likely acrylic or lucite, and I'd stick with dish detergent, since it is bright and clear and only needs cursory cleaning not a chemical bath that might cloud it up. The stem is pretty; don't mess it up.

Reactions: RalphiesDad

RalphiesDad

Lurker
Jan 14, 2022
Eastern WA State
Did a quick wash of the stem with simple green and itll remain a display piece in my collection. Theres no way I could smoke it with so many other modern cobs I have. That amber color really grows on me.

Reactions: mingc