PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I use a Win 10 laptop daily "docked" to 2 monitors, kb and mouse. Since it's maintained by work, I'm good with it as updates, etc. occur automatically. My parents have a Dell All-In-One Win 10 Machine which was cost effective for them. But, as a consumer machine, it's a total pain to secure and maintain the desktop, memory, etc. I used to be a Windows only kind of guy until I had to keep running security updates about twice a week. Once I went Mac, I didn't go back (except for work). Funnier still - I'm an Android phone guy. So I guess I'm somewhat technology androgynous.
At home, I have a 2010 iMac, a 2011 MacBook Air and a 2011 MacBook Pro. All three run on an Intel Core processor, exchange files between my Win and Mac machines, have been very reliable and pretty much self-update. I seldom have application issues. Most applications for the home user run on both Win/Mac (as in Vendors make them compatible) due to the Intel processor. Mac OS is no longer truly "proprietary" in that it is running a version of modified UNIX.
They all have their pros/cons. For my home money, I love my Macs. Be advised that depending on the Mac platform you run, there can be minor OS differences due to storage size, etc. The Air is really not much more than a glorified iPad with a keyboard, and is generally geared for portable net surfing. If you want to do serious processing like for Video, Music or Photography, you're far better off with the iMac "desktop" unit. Mac also has lower cost utility type apps (such as Pages) that let's you write documents that can be ported to MS Word if so desired.
Only you can really decide what platform to run - but I'd start with:

How have you used the existing system?

Do you plan to do more on the next system or are your habits pretty much locked in?

Do you need more portability today than yesterday? Like, would you like to enjoy a pipe outdoors while surfing the net near a WIFI spot?
Happy hunting - new technology decisions can be fun...and frustrating.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I started using Macs in 1986. The first one I touched was a 512K with dual disc drives and no hard drive. That was when the processor was a 7.5mhz. While I have used windows and dos based computers occasionally, I came to prefer Macs because at the time it was better for the type of work I was doing. I progressed through the different systems and was even certified to repair Macs in the mid-1990s. I stopped doing repair/upgrade work when I couldn't buy the components from anyone but Apple and they weren't selling to independents. I miss Shreve Systems.
What I don't like about the newest Macs is the eliminations of things like internal CD/DVD drives and now, the elimination of USB ports meaning you have to buy either Thunderbolt external devices or adapters.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
What I don't like about the newest Macs is the eliminations of things like internal CD/DVD drives and now, the elimination of USB ports meaning you have to buy either Thunderbolt external devices or adapters.
Fair point; however I will say that a number of Win based laptops have also eliminated the onboard CD/DVD/DVR drives.
Reducing USB drives - unforgivable (but you can get a USB octopus).

Forcing into Thunderbolt and Firewire - bad; optional good.
Thanks for reminding me of that changing trend in equipment.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most of that stuff is being eliminated because it is not needed. You can purchase those drives separately to run through a USB port. I can't remember the last time I needed a CD/DVD/DVR drive. Most apps are run from the cloud or downloaded from the cloud. I don't want a bunch of DVD's sitting around. But if you do want to record stuff on a DVD, buy an external drive for $100 and have a happy.
You can buy a USB hub for $19 to $39 that works perfectly. So why the need for a bunch of them built into the computer itself? They're trying to minimize the cost, size and weight, something has to go. I think they've mostly made good choices.
The rub is when you happen to live in a rural area and don't have a fast internet connection. Hopefully that will even be resolved for many when Verizon has their high end 5G network up and running across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.