PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
I thought a little community definition might help the overall information base, so throw in with your thoughts.
My two bits: The lakeland essence is slightly like incense and patchouli, but sweet, vaguely floral. I have heard that this is from the extractive of the tonka bean, but I can't find any of those to compare to.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Shannon:
A fairly decent airing of this here.
Tastes like...uhhh.....well....sort of....I dunno...Lakelandy to me....it's weird in a good way. I like it.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Shannon:
A fairly decent airing of this here.
Tastes like...uhhh.....well....sort of....I dunno...Lakelandy to me....it's weird in a good way. I like it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tobacco blended with floral scents; often a soapy fragrance (which might be saying the same thing) ...or so I'm told.
Does anyone have recommendations for trying a good Lakeland style blend? Puh-leeeeze!

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Pretty good airing of this here.
I got some Bob's Chocolate flake a couple days ago and it's goooooood. Has a hint of the essence but it's not over the top.
RJ

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
W.S., LMAO ! Welc... I say, welcome to the forums.

Looking forward to more wry humor and colorful descriptions.
Foghornleghorn.gif

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Thats it finally someone has hit upon the essence , I always thought it was french armpit with eau de toilette from Wallmart . lmao

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
If find if you rub urinal cake out and let it air on a paper towel for 30-40 minutes it smokes much better.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Cortezattic Said:

Does anyone have recommendations for trying a good Lakeland style blend?
If you are looking for a blend that gives you a true and heavy taste of the Lakeland Essence, try Gawith, Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake. Another good one to try is GH Rum Flake. Rum Flake has the Lakeland Essence, but it is a little more subdued than Ennerdale Flake.
Be warned though, the Lakeland Essence seems to be a love it or hate it type flavor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
OK, I'm gonna put in a small order for the Dark Birdseye that Oppie recommended, and an even smaller order for Ennerdale and Rum Flake (Bob's warning makes me nervous).

Thanx

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Cortez:
This thread made me recall a forgotten baggie of DBE I had rat holed.
I broke it out tonight.
I don't get the Lakeland essence from this one. For me only a slight wiff on the charrign light.
So for me it wouldn't be a first choice as an example of Lakeland. But I think you'll enjoy it very much. I think I recall that you have a taste for dark fired stuff and are a burley fan.
DBE is a Dark Fired VA heavy whole leaf shag. But still much more like a KY than what you first think of as a VA. Sort of in the Irish Flake ball park but I think better.
My 2 best smokes of the week have been Bob's Chocolate flake and tonight's DBE.
I'm doing a good bit of exploring right now to figure out what most turns my crank and I gotta say that the G&H stuff is really blowing everything else away.
RJ

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Funny you should mention that, Jonesing. I just ordered 4 oz. of G&H's Dark Bird's Eye earlier this afternoon. It seems like everybody is out of stock on many SG & G&H blends. Gonna get some SG's Bracken Flake too.

Status
Not open for further replies.