PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Does anyone have any techniques for removing dents and dings from briar pipes?
I was smoking and got distracted. I went to stuff the thing in my pocket and it slipped, and landed on the concrete :( man do I feel dumb.
Luckily I put it in the cotton pouch first so the ding is not all that bad. Still, I would much rather it not be there as the pipe is fairly nice and was a gift from my wife.
After searching the internet I have only found one suggestion. Thats filling the hole up with water and then touching the water (not the pipe) with a hot pen of some kind.
I am quite nervous to try that.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
What I wsuggest is along similar lines.
I would use a wet cotton towel though and use a hot knife. The steam should pop it out and the towel would protect the finish.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Get a thick cotton towel that you don't mind getting dirty. Wet it and wring out just enough so it isn't dripping but still completely soaked. Put it over the pipe.
Take a pocket knife or other sturdy blade and heat the pointed end with a lighter or other heat source. Once heated to your satisfaction touch the knife to the towel over the dent. The steam generated by the hot knife on the wet towel should pop the dent out if it is really just a dent.
I have not done this on a pipe but I have done it on other wood products. I can't remember who but I also read here in a post a while back that someone uses this same technique to remove chatter out of some of the softer stems as well.
If your finish has been nicked this won't do you any good in repairing that and might even make it worse.
Please be safe.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I use a butter knife, which I heat on my gas range. While its heating I take a wash cloth and soak it then wring it out to wet but not dripping, eaglerico said. Double the wash cloth over and place it on the dent, then touch the tip of the hot knife to the area where the dent is under the cloth. It'll sizzle and steam; when it stops sizzling put the knife back on the flame, in case you need to repeat, and check under the dent. Repeat if needed using another, wet, spot on the cloth. I've done this on waxes pipes and it works well. But will probably need to re-wax it after doing this process.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Interesting.

This really works? Amazing that steam can take a dent out of wood.

I will have to give it a try. Seems a lot less tedious than the other tip that I found.

Thanks guys. Wish me luck.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I forgot to mention,

I am still open to other suggestions as well!

I'm going to have to build my courage before I try anything! :lol:

It doesn't look like the finish is damaged.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Yes steam can take a small dent out of wood... I use something similar to this on big things like furniture, but no steam, I just lightly sand the laquer off (if any) and put a few drops of water over the dent over night, more times than not the next day the dent is gone! ... refinish and viola! if not repeat and always works.
FYI: I design and build high end custom furniture... so you know Im not just talking out if my ass! :D

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
That's also interesting. Do you think it would be a good idea to try that trick (the drop of water/waiting overnight) on a pipe? I'm not sure if I would trust myself to refinish it. I've done it before but not on an already beautifully finished pipe.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've never tried this on a pipe but it works great for gun stocks. It's the same idea as what eaglerico

suggested. Take a wet washcloth and cover the wood, press a hot iron on it over the dent. You know, the

iron your mom/wife uses to press your shirts.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Here's a post by a really good pipe restorer speaking of using the method of washcloth and butter knife:

Blog Post

You can see from his photos that it works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.