PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Bob, you left out the bacon and the fried taters. You also need some buttermilk to put the leftover cornbread from the night before in, making a cerealish consistency properly eaten with a spoon.
(Jeeez, it's a miracle I'm not 300 lbs!)

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Nup, I'm still lost - biscuits? That's Yo-Yo's, Scotch Finger, Tim Tams or then there's savory ones ... gravy is what goes on taties and/or hot chippies (butties if you're a Brit).
And "grits", well that just sounds like something scraped off the bottom of your shoe. Are they like those disgusting Hash Browns McDonald's sells?
Gawd, now I'm having visions of Kevin with sweet biscuits, gravy and grits on his nekkid body in a seductive pose - am I getting close? I guess not lmfo!
Hark .... what's all that disgusted tongue clicking I hear ...
skips off singing, "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt"

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Southern breakfast food smeared all over a man's naked body? Oh god... this just went way beyond my comfort zone :lol:

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
American biscuit on the left, British on the right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BiscuitsAmerican%26British.png
Sausage gravy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_gravy
You open the biscuit and drench it in the gravy. Butter on the biscuit is optional.
I knew an old codger who told my sister "when that baby gets old enough to be hungry all the time, don't bother with that baby food. Feed him mashed up biscuits and gravy and he'll be a strong man." Welp, the dude was right!
Grits are ground up corn cooked similarly to cream of wheat. In the South, we put butter and salt and pepper and cheese on them. Up north they like sweet stuff on their grits.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Oh Jesus Mary & Joseph, they look like dog food and regurgitated dog food respectively. That wouldn't look at all attractive on Kevin's curves, blaargh, t'wounldn't be going anywhere near my voluptuous lips! Will just have to settle for Vegemite instead, it smears on nicely, stays put and lasts a long, long time (and doesn't burn at all which is a nice benefit).
Cyndi, when yer not bein' all sexy like, I's going to call you "The Link Lady". Now, git back on over to that georgeous hunk of Italian Spunk's thread, I reckon if you and I keep working on him we could have our own personal pipe-making star in the making :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Grits=Ground Hominy (weird-ass mutant corn). If you're from the South you probably eat them with butter, salt or even cheese or shrimp, depending on the region. If you're not southern, you typically either eat them sweet or hate them like poison. They're sort of our "Vegemite", you either love them or detest them.
Southern Bisquits and Gravy Look kind of like this. They are one of Southern Home Cooking's Awesomist dishes. Never turn these down while in the South. (Aside from offending your host, you will truly miss out)There are a dozen different ways they are done but they are alwyas awesome! They make losing weight next to impossible down here and They look kind of like this:
BG.jpg

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Biscuits and gravy is made for dinner probably 2 nights a week here. The kids scarf it down in less than 5 minutes, then beg for more. :D I love links like crazy, lol. Edumacation from the internets!
And Holy Mother of God, Vegemite is terrible. So is Nutella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqb0em452CM&feature=related
Dylan, we won't school you here. Even mentioning the Lemon Party is kinda sketchy behavior here. :twisted:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I can't find grits up here in IL, unless I look in the ethnic section of the grocery store. They are definitely an aquired taste. In a Star Trek novel they were described as "just like Romulan emergency rations, but without the taste."

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Winton, that's awesome! LOL
When I was in IL visiting Shaun's family, I was cooking a country dinner for his folks and can you believe I found breaded okra? I had to drive 45 minutes to the closest grocery store - but dinner was SERVED.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
the brits' lack of culinary skills are legendary. i hope the aussies' are better but not making judgement one way or another at this point. for all i know you can't even buy respectable sausage in australia.
cyndi, i don't need a tent. i'll just sleep in the car. maybe trade ya some tobacco for a dish - especially if there's bacon and taters.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Oh Lordy, Lordy Nooooooooooooo!!! I'm a country girl off a farm 'an all, but I draw the bloody line at John Denver. Where's my fave "Where'd Ya Come From Black Eyed Joe" or whatever it is, 'could get some real rythum going with the curve clad vegemite & that wee tune.
Vegemite & Nutella are made to be eaten directly from the bottle using a spoon, placing said spreads on bread deserves a floggin'. If you MUST put it on bread, the only way is to have it thick enough that it oozes out of the sides of the sesame seed crisp bread roll as you bite into it. I had one of these rolls with TRIPLE vegemite on it on my way to work every morning when I was preggers with my girl who's now 5'10" (sperm donor & I were both 5'3") and as healthy as can be! See, Vegemite = health & vitality is NOT a myth. Those rolls used to cost me $3.50 21 years ago for crying out loud, that stuff is GOLD I tells ya.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Chopz, you silly sausage, we have some of the best sausages in the world over here - there was a MASSIVE influx of Germans after both WW's and no-one makes sausages like they do. The only sausages that don't pass my lipes are American Hot Dog type, and Kangaroo ... oh, and there is one other, but I'd best not go there lest it lead to more tongue clucking.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Fine, fine, fine! John Denver's just on my mind because it played at the Dairy Queen while I was eating slaw dogs with my Daddy. :D This do ya better? This band has an AMAZING fiddler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVWQTDoMr4
I just can't handle creamed things like that. Even peanut butter has to be extra crunchy before I'll eat it. I also say no to pudding and pate. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.