PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes I hold off buying a pipe in hopes someone else will buy it first! I truly don't

need more pipes. In numbers, I possess all I can smoke in rotation, and any more will

start backing off some of the pipes into drawers or to the bottom of the basket where

some of them go. But I have revisited pipes after weeks or even months and finally

made the purchase. There are always a few pipes on this waiting list, but I eventually

buy them, lose interest, or someone else buys them, which isn't all bad. If it's too good,

I'll buy it right away, but with a number of pipes in hand, that doesn't happen as often.

How about you?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Right now I am in tobacco buying mode. When I am in pipe buying mode if I see something I like, I buy it. The pipes I do like never last long so I have to be quick on the trigger if I want them.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
If you’re having trouble with all the pipes you have, I can surely help you with that. :lol:

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I am also concentrating on tobacco purchases right now. My logic is such, that when tobacco becomes so expensive, that most people will have to stop smoking, pipes are going to become cheaper. ;)
Best regards,

Peter

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
easterntraveler, I'm sorry but when I cull the herd, I sell or exchange pipes, several of them, toward

something at a higher level. It gets harder. Some just aren't going to resell, like cobs and U.S. machine

made. A number just shouldn't be sold, like pipes made out of Mountain Laurel, real native state product.

Some are gifts. It has gotten more difficult to buy pipes, and difficult to unload them. An embarrassment

of pipe abundance. (Not pipe wealth, no Dunhills or other pipes of that ilk pricewise, but some nice ones.)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I am actually sitting on a purchase right now, due to the fact that I am going on vacation and have the money set aside for that. But, I'm hoping that there will be some $$$ left over when I get back, so I can purchase the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
voorhees, sounds like me. I don't think the tobacco pipe hobby would be as satisfying if I could just

buy anything I wanted whenever I wanted. Part of the appeal is making out the choices and hewing

out a way to do the deal. I guess if I were Bill Gates, in terms of means, I'd work with carvers and

commission handmade pipes out of rare materials, worrying over which emerald I wanted mounted

in the shank of my exotic super-aged flame grained briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
True, rothnh. I have done the quick-draw purchase, and mostly these have turned out well. Sometimes

you have something in mind before you locate the pipe itself, and when you find it, you buy it. Done.

And that is most satisfying. I think the hemming and hawing is to keep from having to rent storage

for pipes, or having them in storage containers under the bed ... where the tobacco should be!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
When you have an abundance of pipes, basically too many to smoke regularly, you can be very selective in what interests you. I am in the situation where I have a pretty fair collection and find that I am smoking some of my much lesser valued pipes that give great smokes lately. But getting back to the original post I hold off on buying but still watch the market frequently. If I miss out on a pipe that does interest me, I just say, "There's always another one". LOL

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I have enough pipes for a good months rotation without smoking the same pipe twice so like many others here have commented I'm concentrating on my cellar. No more buying pipes from sites especially eBay but I've been seeing a few good tins up for auction. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.