Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
trailboss, Trevor Talbert might have struck a chord with identifying certain types of personalities, but his recurrent theme of criticizing "Fox news viewers" comes across as liberal douchebaggery.

I really haven't followed any major news politically for quite awhile (Fox news included), admittedly I am a conservative, if he were to criticize an MSNBC viewer to the same extent, I might appreciate the caricature that he paints...I see it all as throwing red meat to his buddies that embrace a political philosophy that would have our hobby outlawed...but he has "free" healthcare, so I guess he is fat and happy and free to pedal his philosophy of foolishness.
ditto! :O)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
How about The Scholar? What image provokes the pipe smoker better than an august man in an armchair, reading a book by the fireplace while smoking his beloved companion? I confess, I feel personally comfortable with that image, even though I don't have a fireplace. But I certainly read a lot of esoteric tomes.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
The kiss arse? The guy who loves to be loved. And he loves when others knows he is loved.
Loves to + people.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Regarding "liberal douchebaggery", if you guys want to talk crap about me, you are free to PM me... if you have the stones. I'm not going to drag the thread into a political flamewar though because I have too much respect for the forum and the other fine folks here. As far as my own politics go, I'm pretty much a *slight*-left centrist, which in the US qualifies me as a radical hippie and in France made me a hardline capitalist conservative. It's amazing how one's political position varies depending on where in the world he's standing at any given moment.
That's all I'm going to say here about politics because really, I don't want to hear anyone else's any more than they want to hear mine. I'm a lot more concerned with pragmatic solutions to problems at ground level than political allegiance (I don't care which side the solution comes from as long as the solution works) and I prefer to judge people based on whether they seem like decent human beings than on who they vote for. If someone seems like a guy who would put himself at risk to pull an old lady out from in front of a bus, or to volunteer to help out someone in need, then I'll probably be his friend regardless of his R or D or L status. OTOH, if someone behaves like a jackass on internet forums, then probably not.
Regarding the original post, I really need to go back and add to it some. I've had another ten years of experience since then! Also, I noticed it's missing its pics, like a lot of the older blog posts. I seem to remember that all the old pics got lost when Blogger changed platform or something back in the early-mid 2000's and old posts were migrated over. But, that was during the French Blur so who the heck knows what went wrong... In any case, I'm halfway tempted to do a little more cartooning and draw some caricatures to go with these descriptions :D Either that or I could just dress the various Godzillas from my current web comic and stick one in for each personality type :lol: The image of a Godzilla relaxing with a nice Dunhill on a calfskin settee seems too ridiculous to go to waste...!

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Also, misterlowercase...
Overjoyed Enthusiast

The overjoyed enthusiast often posts long rambling and gushing posts - obviously excited about some obscure discovery of which has been long forgotten and usually lists a mass of links in an overdone overload. Sometimes the OE will post nothing but a whole bunch of images he has found online and keep necrobumping the thread adding even more as he accumulates them along the way, sometimes even a year later. The OE will display a grippingly intense fascination with a particular pipology only to suddenly drop that interest when a new love is found, for instance, for a while he may post stuff about Sixten Ivarsson, Gert Holbek or Jorn Micke, and suddenly shift to posting about nothing except old British sandblast pipes, seemingly forgetting all about his previous passion for the Danish School. The OE rarely ever gets pissed off or tries to tango into some entanglement of hostile discord and just keeps on merrily spazzing out on whatever topic has grabbed his attention, yet he does thoroughly enjoy peppering his language variously with pseudo-intellectual jargon mixed with peerless profanities like daqfuck the fuck fuckity muck-a-luck shits gotta shat so dammit down thither bloody hellz, what? I'm sayin' - word.
1) That is freaking hilarious and perfect. :D
2) You mind if I add this to the original post at some point? Because it's true, there always is a REALLY enthusiastic guy who is basically like a big puppy, bouncing all over the place and infectious with his enthusiasm. This definitely qualifies as a recurring Forum Type.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'm still waiting for my calfskin settee, do you send that or the forum? :wink:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I'm still waiting for my calfskin settee, do you send that or the forum? :wink:
Did you fill out the application? Also, how did you score on the standardized test? You need to have memorized the entire Dunhill family tree, you realize... :wink:

May 31, 2012
2) You mind if I add this to the original post at some point? Because it's true, there always is a REALLY enthusiastic guy who is basically like a big puppy, bouncing all over the place and infectious with his enthusiasm. This definitely qualifies as a recurring Forum Type.

fersure mang, no problemo - although the last sentence gets a bit strange, feel free to modify the entry for a more generalized description.
The image of a Godzilla relaxing with a nice Dunhill on a calfskin settee seems too ridiculous to go to waste...!
:P that would be friggin' hilarious!
Calfskin settee?

Too pedestrian I'd say,

take it to Goodwill.
Barbarians.
Any true gentleman would much prefer a mahogany Grecian couch.
2220146_1_l.jpg

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
If you can have "Fox news" you can have, "lib-douche". Seems that statement ruffled ya feathers an awful lot for a centrist. Just sayin, if ya can't laugh at ya self ya shouldn't laugh at others. That being said lets move on and add some more fun like "clueless knob" who may or may not actually smoke a pipe but really wants too, but also while trying to learn picks up tid bits and passes them along as if they are well learned lessons, but still asks knob questions like, what polish do you use on your Czech tool.

or how about, the Ole Curmudgeon, who poopoos every thing politely of coarse and adds fatherly advise to the poor mislead op.

lotr fan, who buys churchwardens, clays, and cutties because he thinks they look like the pipes as per the movies. He probably puts tobacco in and lights it but don't smoke more than a few puffs while he tries to blow a smoke ring, then He then dumps the pipe and cleans it thoroughly and places it in its display with his figurines, poster, movies, books, board game, and other such paraphernalia.
Oh, I am the curmudgeon. Lol.

May 31, 2012
RE: Royalty - besides the high postcount Olde Guard, I'd include industry folks in this category as well, or maybe perhaps one step higher, like Deity or something...
...but they also spur another subcategory persona,

The Anti-Royalist

The A/R relishes any oppo to bash "fanboys" and loves to proclaim whichever blender/pipemaker as overrated and overhyped - this oppositionally defiant behavior is understandable, but in some cases it is taken to the extreme.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Look man just because I said I don't like cobs don't mean ya have to make a whole category for it. 8O

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I think I'm a different "type" by thread, determined by the topic. I've probably been all of the above, but believe it or not, in a lot of threads I'm just a lurker. I read them, mark them as a favorite, follow them but never post in them.
Though I go by "pups," I'm no Thread Dog. A thread dog runs with his little forum pack, a handful of buddies who always show up together, sniffs at every unfamiliar post and lifts his leg to it to remind all readers that the forums are his pack's territory. Yips over his shoulder to BigDog to make sure he's got backup standing by for his opinion so he won't be challenged for it. Or his pack catches scent of where he peed and are standing close by to make sure it stands against others who might mark it.
Or, there's BigDog himself, coming to the rescue of his smaller pack members, woofing and putting the matter to rest once and for all, then silently returning to his daytime den till he's called on again.
Thank goodness there are no Thread Dogs or BigDogs in Pipesmagazine. One of the nicer forums on the Web.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
PS: Misterlowercase -- you are a whole category to yourself. And peerless. That tobacco experiment you let us take part in -- for me, that immortalized you.
My managing editor would never let you get away with this sentence:
The OE rarely ever gets pissed off or tries to tango into some entanglement of hostile discord and just keeps on merrily spazzing out on whatever topic has grabbed his attention, yet he does thoroughly enjoy peppering his language variously with pseudo-intellectual jargon mixed with peerless profanities like daq muck-a-luck shits gotta shat so dammit down thither bloody hellz, what? I'm sayin' - word.
But I wouldn't let her pen touch it. It's wonderful. When you go -- but don't go! -- they'll retire your OE persona game shirt. It's yours eternally.

Status
Not open for further replies.