PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've never owned a 9mm filter pipe, but I have a bunch of Grabows that take 6mm. While I like the balsas, I found the Grabow/Medico type paper filters to restrict the draw too much, and they seem to dull out flavors a lot. The balsas don't do either of those for me. I actually used them in Grabows long before I owned a Savinelli.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Whoa! What happened to the mutual filter-bashing here on pipesmagazine? At last some understand the reason for using filter in pipes.

Being German I´d like to make the remark that we are not overly concerned with health issues (at least us pipe smokers) and we use filters to catch the moisture and only the moisture! I personally don´t care about which kind of filter as long as it doesn´t restrict the airflow and keeps tobacco bits out of my mouth. A good filter doesn´t even impair the taste of the tobacco. Do I only smoke filter pipes? Heck, if I like a non-filter pipe enough I smoke it anyway. So no secrets or strings attached here, try it you´ll like it'! :wink:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
stvalentine: that's funny, you don't LOOK German!!!! Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa! (sorry! :)
Best value I've found in 9mm filters are the Blitz filters... cheapest place yet to get them is Amazon.(Stick "blitz pipe filters" in the search field, and voila! Several options!)

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Most of my pipes are estates without any provisions for filters and I genuinely enjoy smoking them filter or not. I do have a weakness for the Author shape so thus have more than one pipe that takes the 6mm filters, all are Savinelli 320s most of which are made for the 6mm filters. I smoke them with and without, with adaptor as needed. Not a great difference in taste though the Savinelli balsa filters so absorb a lot of moisture so I tend to use them for the wetter blends especially aromatics. They usually lasts a few bowls, especially if removed after use and allowed to air dry. Bought in bulk they are reasonably priced.
I also have a few 9mm pipes and I usually use filters in those. I use absorba brand filters usually as they are inexpensive when bought in bulk and seem to work well. They contain activated charcoal and one end is white, made of porcelain for the heat which goes towards the bowl and a green plastic end that goes towards the stem. Again they absorb a lot of water and I use them for aromatics that tend to smoke hot as they seem to reduce tongue bite.
As far as adapters I use those issued with the pipes usually. I have read above that some are interested in making their own, I would use caution as to what they are made of. Mention was made of sprinkler hose which may be maid of pic or possibly ABS or other plastics that may react badly to the heat and chemicals released by smoking tobacco. I would recommend Delrin as many makers have been using that for tenons for new stems and as fixes for broken ones.
Much like smoking itself the use and need of a filter or not is up to the user.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
IN my post above I noted that filters do a great job of absorbing moisture and hence eliminating dottle. These filters, the Dri-Kule, the Denicool and the Nording stones do not alter the taste of the tobacco, unless you're a dottle lover. The 9-mm filters, on the other hand, can alter the tobacco's taste, depending upon their composition: paper, activated charcoal, etc. You'll be the best judge of any effect on taste in your various pipes. But if simple moisture reduction is your goal, the three filters I've mentioned do a great job, giving you a drier, and hence cooler smoke.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started with MM Legend and didn't realize it had a filter in it for about a week of constant cigarette style smoking some OHM Bold. I knew NOTHING.

Here I am, 2 yrs later and I'm putting the stingers BACK into some of the estate pipes I've picked up because I've learned how to smoke a pipe.

I think with stingers and filters, the draw is an important aspect of consideration.

I'm finding that with a stinger in place, the venturi effect is more at play and can work to your benefit or detriment depending on your balance, cadence and pack.

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I take the filter out of any pipe I buy,I use an adapter in 9mm pipes, and nothing in 6mm I prefer a pipe with no filter

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Making mine own 6mm and 9mm from balsa wood.

Works like a charm. A $5 piece yields about 900.

It became a part of a pipe smoking experience.

Making a filter right before lighting up..

S

sunriseboy

Bit of a late post, but just tonight I figured out what filters suit me best. Have the Savinelli balsas and Brigham Rock Maples and the paper Medicos. Value for money the Medicos are brilliant. The Rock Maples tend to create a lot of moisture in my Wizard bits and the Savinelli's, IMO, are 50% too short. So after a year of trials, Medicos get the gig.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hmm not sure how I missed this the first time around.
I don't own any 9mm filter pipes and won't buy one. I do own several Sav's and generally smoke them without the filter.
I did own a Brigham but found the draw too restrictive so I got rid of it.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Filters are very much horses for courses. I personaly don't like them. Keeping the smoking experience to one side I had a very nice pipe almost ruined by a filter which got hot and melted to the shank on one of my silver banded pipes. Got the filter out but had to cut the shank back.

I don't like filers and no longer use them.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm a 95% 9mm smoker and it's hard to imagine getting a filter that hot. For me they just get to varying stages of dampness, depending on how dry the tobacco is.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Keeping the smoking experience to one side I had a very nice pipe almost ruined by a filter which got hot and melted to the shank on one of my silver banded pipes. Got the filter out but had to cut the shank back.

I don't like filers and no longer use them.
I have about a hundred filtered pipes... so I think I can speak to this. It is possible to melt a filter to your pipe, if you inserted the wrong end.

While I don't use "two-tone" 9mm filters -- where one end is ceramic (white), but the other end is plastic (blue or green) -- a couple of companies, including Peterson, sell these things.

If the user makes the error of putting the ceramic end first into the stem, then the plastic will face the fire. It can melt! So don't do that.

On the other, if you have 9mm filters where both ends are white, then both ends are ceramic and heat resistant. Never melting.

[When you look at the pipe's stem after inserting a filter, stop -- if you see the warning color, reserve the filter; insert the stem into the pipe if you see ceramic-white.]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With a cob for example, or with any pipe, I think it is good if a new pipe smoker takes out the filter and tries the pipe without, just to see what that is like. Then the filter can be added back, for that experience. Then a choice can be made as one goes along, as to what is best. I think filters can be like filtered cigarettes, just a prompt to smoke twice as long to get the flavor, kind of chase it down. But it is very personal. I think a filter may be a good idea at pipe shows or clubs where you are smoking many bowls more than usual. That's when maybe you don't need the smoke full blast. I rarely use a filter, but I smoke very moderately. My humble stash of tins and jars will last me for years, though I still buy the occasional tin, bulk, or pouch.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My findings with the balsa absorbent "filters" are that they improve the smoking experience by removing moisture from the smoke stream. Flavor reduction was very minimal, if at all. I'm going to give pipe stones a try, too.

AD4E14DD49AC8E64276DB6641_edit-vi.jpg

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
The biggest question I have about pipe filters is, does it take away the flavor of the tobacco?

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I experimented with filter pipes when I first started really getting into pipes again a couple of years ago. I have (2) Vauen pipes that are 9mm, and 2 peterson 9mm filter pipes plus a MM cob paper filter. I don't find that is causes a huge loss in flavor at all..

I was a little having trouble with tongue bite mostly the next am, (maybe steaming my tongue a bit). I really like these filtered pipes though. I will have to get a balsa type pipe next, for academic purposes only..

That being said I do have a lot of other pipes that are filter-less, I enjoy both in their own right. I can see how smoking using the breath method with filters may hinder the draw slightly and thus be a little annoying to those that really like an open draw.

I am also surprised that we have yet to hear someone explain the proper way to use a filter, which in these filter threads someone inevitably says to toss it over your shoulder and never use one again.. :lol:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The biggest question I have about pipe filters is, does it take away the flavor of the tobacco?
As Well, they aren't really filters, they are absorbents. But flavor reduction was very minimal, if at all.
I am also surprised that we have yet to hear someone explain the proper way to use a filter

I can do that:
1. Pull stem

2. Insert filter

3. Reinsert stem

4. Smoke

5. Change filter frequently (I do it every bowl)

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Woodsroad, that is a much more useful description of filter use. And I concur, after every bowl, otherwise it tastes pretty bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.