PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
This was my first Ser Jacopo. I’ve had it for about 17 years. I only smoke Christmas Cheer or 40th anniversary in it. This pipe has a deep narrow chamber that I always thought was ideal for VA flakes. This morning I’m having a bowl of 40th in it and man is that blend SWEET. I think 40th is a very special blend and can imagine not enjoying it in any pipe but I wonder what the group thinks..does dedicating a pipe to a specific blend make that blend better and better in that pipe over time or is that all in our heads🙂?

Attachments

• FF2FADE4-2AE3-4A3A-8C51-89B51CBE4EB9.jpeg
    FF2FADE4-2AE3-4A3A-8C51-89B51CBE4EB9.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 5

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
thinks..does dedicating a pipe to a specific blend make that blend better and better in that pipe over time or is that all in our heads🙂?
No idea what you're talking about. 🤷‍♂️

img_20171225_011939.jpg

All of these are blend specific.

6TwHqCI_d.webp

Jun 23, 2019
This was my first Ser Jacopo. I’ve had it for about 17 years. I only smoke Christmas Cheer or 40th anniversary in it. This pipe has a deep narrow chamber that I always thought was ideal for VA flakes. This morning I’m having a bowl of 40th in it and man is that blend SWEET. I think 40th is a very special blend and can imagine not enjoying it in any pipe but I wonder what the group thinks..does dedicating a pipe to a specific blend make that blend better and better in that pipe over time or is that all in our heads🙂?

Sounds like you've been experimenting for over a decade and a half; if that can't answer those questions you have, then I don't know a forum full of fools can either..

- - -

With that said, in my opinion, nothing taste better than a fresh cob.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I thunk dedicating a pipe to at least a genre is essential. At least in my own experience.
This is what I do as well. I don't smoke much, and certainly not enough of any particular blend/house to dedicate a pipe but VA and Vaper in one set of pipes, Latakia/oriental in another set, and scented/aromatic blends selectively in random victims.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Definitely more intentional about it now - the Wilke No. 515 is for a couple of specific Petersons, otherwise it is more now about keeping the Virginias and aros to different pipes in general. I haven't really gotten back into re-exploring the English, but when I do, I have a couple pipes for those.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I had a Vesz pipe I dedicated to a specific blend: Park Lane Connoisseur Flake. I eventually got tired of the blend and realized I was underutilizing a great pipe. I dedicate pipes to genres now on all of my pipes.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I haven't dedicated any of my pipes to a particular blend.

That said, my Peterson 314 (👈 That one) is dedicated to aromatics, my cobs are dedicated to working in the garage, and my Sherlock is dedicated to all the blends I keep over at my dad's house. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Ben.R.C

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you don't build cake, if you have a lot of pipes, and if you don't smoke Lakeland aromatics, these factors play into the importance of dedicating pipes or not. An extremely sensitive taster might still want to dedicate, but there comes a point of diminishing returns.

Reactions: TheWhale13 and BCF